5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Explorer gets another round of patches

PATCH WATCH

Internet Explorer gets another round of patches

By Susan Bradley

Merely searching for images and websites can be hazardous to your PC these days. Two critical updates released this week will help close down those vectors.

It's a big batch of updates this month, most of which you can install immediately. But a few I've put on short-term hold.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/patch-watch/Internet-Explorer-gets-another-round-of-patches (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-06-15 at 18:08.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not depending on PCs for a living,I normally install all patches pertaining to my software, security, etc., even though I normally browse this column.Yesterday,after patching, my wireless USB mouse and Chrome went bonkers.Did a restore, turned off auto updates, and will now only install patches when OK'd by Ms. Bradley.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI, it looks like one of this week's Win 7 patches broke the ability to rearrange the icons in a toolbar that is displayed on the taskbar. I have two of these, and before Tuesday I could drag the icons around inside the toolbar. I have now lost that ability. For that reason alone, I may uninstall the patches.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brucej4 View Post
    FYI, it looks like one of this week's Win 7 patches broke the ability to rearrange the icons in a toolbar that is displayed on the taskbar. I have two of these, and before Tuesday I could drag the icons around inside the toolbar. I have now lost that ability. For that reason alone, I may uninstall the patches.
    If you want any help in trying to figure this out please post the issue in the IE forum.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by safariman View Post
    Not depending on PCs for a living,I normally install all patches pertaining to my software, security, etc., even though I normally browse this column.Yesterday,after patching, my wireless USB mouse and Chrome went bonkers.Did a restore, turned off auto updates, and will now only install patches when OK'd by Ms. Bradley.
    I have MS Update set to inform but not download.

After installing all the patches mentioned in Patch Watch, there are almost always others which have not been mentioned, which I normally install sometime over the next few days.

This week there are an extra 6 patches for Word 2007 – which I only have in compatibility pack form in order to use the Calibri font in Office 2003 – plus another for Visual C ++ 2008. I was about to download them, when I read the above, which left me wondering whether to install or not. I would seem that MS does not always know what is best for any given PC.

Something similar happened last weekend. After reinstalling Windows and Office 2003 – omitting Access, Publisher, Outlook and Info Path – which I do not use – MS insist on offering me patches for all four, together with Works Suite. Yet none of these are on my PC. Heaven knows what would happen if I tried to install them.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2011-06-17 at 11:25. Reason: Remembered name of Works Suite.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation 3 newly-released patches not addressed in latest Patch Watch

How about KBs 2523021 (Excel 2010), 2523113 (Office 2010), and 2512827 (Silverlight)?
    Last edited by bethel95; 2011-06-17 at 15:29.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    How about KBs 2523021 (Excel 2010), 2523113 (Office 2010), and 2512827 (Silverlight)?
    KB2523021 discussed in the MS11-045 paragraph.

KB2523113 not a security patch. See OneNote patch. Should be OK to install.

KB251827 discussed in .NET section

Joe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

bethel95 (2011-06-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding my toolbar icon problem:

Curiously, this problem had fixed itself when I powered up my PC today. The strange thing is that the visual behavior has changed completely. There is a new right-facing arrow that appears next to the icon when I drag it to a new location, and the red-circle-with-a-line-through-it appears if I drag it over an invalid location. These never existed before this week - the old behavior was a simple vertical black bar that would appear to show that I could drop the icon there. Strange. But, now I am able to re-order my icons again.

Thanks!
    Last edited by brucej4; 2011-06-17 at 20:54. Reason: additional information

New Lounger
    Thanks
    the 'post' link above the table points to an old version 4/27/11 not 6/16/11 of the ' Regularly updated problem-patch chart'

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Patch-Tuesday

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow Disappearing patches in Patch Watch

I've been holding off on the three Visual Studio / Visual C++ patches (2538242, 2538243, and 2467173 for Visual Studio 2005, 2008, and 2010, respectively) based on the "wait" recommendation in Patch Watch.

These patches disappeared from the PW list back in April without ever getting an "install" recommendation, as far as I can tell.

Anyone know what the recommended action is on them?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I've been holding off on the three Visual Studio / Visual C++ patches (2538242, 2538243, and 2467173 for Visual Studio 2005, 2008, and 2010, respectively) based on the "wait" recommendation in Patch Watch.

These patches disappeared from the PW list back in April without ever getting an "install" recommendation, as far as I can tell.

Anyone know what the recommended action is on them?
    "Patches listed below as safe to install will be removed from the next updated table. "

That's the answer from Susan's Patch Watch column. If it isn't listed, it should be safe to install.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

About latest Windows updates

I have just been offered three Windows 7 x64 updates (2545698; 2547666; 2552343) listed as "Important" but when I select each of them it says "Recommended". Also, when I select "More information" for each of them I get a Windows page saying the KB is not found.

Will one of you Seniors please report this to the appropriate person at Microsoft?

I have also posted this on the Patch Watch thread but I'm not sure anyone monitors that.

Norman Castel