5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Evernote: Variety is the spice of life

HOT TIPS

Evernote: Variety is the spice of life

By Katherine Murray

These days, you might feel that information barrels its way toward you like Niagara Falls.

But with the right tools at hand, you can manage even a big flow of data thoughtfully, creatively, and constructively. Evernote is one of the best (free!) tools you can use to channel, rather than drown in, the information deluge.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-software/evernote:-variety-is-the-spice-of-life/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-06-15 at 18:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nice column on Evernote. One thing missing was a discussion about exporting your data. I tried Evernote several versions ago; at that point there was no way to export information, so I quit using it. (I've lost way too much information to proprietary systems). I tried several kludges to export; none were successful. The comments of others on the support site echoed my frustrations. I really liked Evernote in every other way so if they have fixed that omission I would certainly try it again. --Sherman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used EverNote v1 and then v2 for ages and find it extremely useful as a reference source for imformation i've acquired from all over the place.

HOWEVER, upgrading to the latest version (version 4), which I tried recently, is a major pain, in the b..... You have to instal v3 then v4, and then you find that you've lost formating and other significant information, including some types of images. That along with major GUI interface changes that are not smoothly translated (eg Categories to Tags). Not a smooth upgrade path at all, in fact I think it's the roughest I've ever come across in 30 years of personal computing! For that reason I've stuck with my old and trusted Evernote version 2.2.0.383 - I have it loaded all the time.

Until EverNote can guarantee a perfectly seamless upgrade from version to the latest version I'll be sticking with the old version - the additional functionality is not a high priority for me.
    Last edited by BygAuldByrd; 2011-06-16 at 20:52.