4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Anti-malware programs

I am running Windows XP Home SP3 and have Norton Internet Security 2011. I had occasion to contact Symantec support regarding a problem with Norton Power Eraser. I had tried to use it because my PC was extremely sluggish. The support person told me my PC was slow because I had Malwarebytes, Superantispyware and AdAware installed and they were in conflict with NIS 2011. He advised their removal and subsequently there has been a dramatic performance improvement. What do others think, as I know these programs receive high praise from many sources? Do they really conflict with NIS or is it just coincidence that there has been an improvement? Am I safe just having NIS on its own to protect me?

Thanks
    Actually, unless the other apps are running in real time (running in the background) they should not cause a proble, The free MalwareBytes does not offer real time protection, just manual scanning. re-install it. When you install Spybot Search and Destroy, disable the tea timer option. This is their real time protection, which may be the conflict. In do not have Super Antispyware, but have to think there is also a real time component that you can disable. I do have the first 2 and have no such conflicts because both are used for manual scanning only.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

paulbyr (2011-06-16)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You should only have one program running at a time that provides real time protection otherwise you may see conflicts that affect performance and reliability. Most experienced users in the Lounge have more than one antimalware tool installed. The ones such as Malwarebytes, Adaware, Super Antispyware, & others are run periodically as a double check to whatever real time protection the use has installed. BTW, periodically = the time period between runs with which you feel comfortable.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Malwarebytes Anti-Malware "Real-time" protection

Hi all : Seemingly contrary to the usual "advise" on this forum on avoiding the Pro, real-time version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware because of its "conflicts" with the real-time protection of other security programs, one should carefully read the info on their Support Forums on this Subject at http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index...howtopic=10138 ESPECIALLY "Section(s)" E,F,H,I,J,K & M . The other "sections" of this link also provide good info in related topics .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm like all the above. I have malwarebytes and other spyware programs installed but I do let them run in real time, I just use them to do manual scans when I feel its necessary. Anything running in the background can slow your system down. Spyware programs are just like AntiVirus programs, just one running, never more as they will conflict with each other. You should also check your system to see what else is running in the background and turn off all those programs so they won't turn on during startup. For a quick menu peak just go to Run, type in msconfig and then select the startup tab, and untick whatever you don't want running. There are free programs that do the same thing, one is WhatInStartup,http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html . There's more extensive programs you can use to determine whats running in the background as msconfig will just show you a limitied list. Process Explorer,http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653 is a multiprogram program that will do this. Use Process Explorer's Autoruns for a very extensive look. Also keep up with the maintenance of your system by cleaning cache, history, cookies, bla bla bla. Also,depending on your system and its processor, ram and other factors, Norton has been known to slow down computers. Norton used to be notorious for it but it has fixed most issues, that said, a smaller, more lightweight anti virus such as Microsofts Security Essentials.
    Last edited by James S; 2011-06-17 at 06:33.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I neglected to mention the Symantec techie also deleted Windows Defender. Should I reinstall this along with the free Malwarebytes? Or does Windows Defender run in real time and is therefore a potential cause of slowdown of the PC?

Thanks
    Windows Defender is real time protection, although if memory serves it can be disabled to allow only manual scanning.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am confused. I have another networked PC which has Norton Internet Security 2011 and also Windows Defender running in realtime mode with no apparent conflicts. Should I reinstall Windows Defender on the PC which the Symantec techie "cleaned up" and see if there is any noticeable effect? After all, I suppose I could always delete it again if problems occurred.

Thanks
    No one says there will always be conflicts, but there often are conflicts that can be very weird and hard to solve. There are those that successfully do this, but I just don't believe it's worth the chance. If the security suite provides both AV and AM protection, the second real time AM app might cause problems an duplicates what the suite is already doing.

As an example the MS Security Essentials AV/AM app automatically disables Windows Defender to prevent these type conflicts.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted