Lounger
    Thanks

Restore previous versions error

After reading the latest newsletter, I tried using Restore Previous Version. There were no previous versions installed and the "Restore System settings and previous versions" box was grayed out. I clicked on the restore previous versions box and then got the error message "The file name, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect. (0X8007007B) Please close the property page and try again."

This made me think of my difficulty in installing the latest Windows 7 update, in which I got a similar error message.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Joe

Thanks
    Good morning Joe, Welcome to the Lounge.

The first thing I would check is to make sure you have Restore Points enabled. Some of us have turned System Restore off and consequently Restore previous versions also is turned off. Type System Restore in the Search box to verify this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks

Restore previous versions error

Ted,

Thanks for the swift response. If I understand the Windows 7 instructions clearly, the way you turn on Restore Points is almost the same procedure as you use to restore previous versions. You go to System Protection, then Configure. But as I said in my previous email, the button to turn on System Restore under Configure is grayed out, and if I press the (middle) Restore Previous Versions button I get the error message above.

Does this help you understand my problem?

Joe

Thanks
    Hi Joe,

Click the Start Orb and type services into the search field, and press Enter key. In Services, look for the Windows Backup service and the Volume Shadow Copy service (VSS). System Restore and Previous Versions depend on both services starting. By default both are set to Manual and Windows starts them when needed. Confirm both services have started. If not, start them. Sometimes, the Manual setting does not always respond to Windows appropriately. Change the start up to Automatic and confirm that both services are started. See if that allows you to configure System Restore and Previous Versions settings.

If the above does not fix the issue, then check out this link for a listing of error codes and fixes. Look under the code 0x8007007B error heading and follow the directions. Should work with Windows 7 as well a Vista.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-16 at 09:26. Reason: Add new link

Lounger
    Thanks
    Deadeye81

Thanks so much. I had to look up the error codes, and found the problem was that the C disk was listed as "missing." I had to turn this off and was then able to select System Restore and Restore Previous Settings. And I've learned something new -- you can just type in a query at the Windows Orb!

I'll bookmark the error page.

Again, many thanks.

Je