Lounger
    Thanks

Evernote won't install in W7.

On the WS recommendation, I downloaded the Evernote program, but after more than an hour and several emails from Evernote support, it still will not install at all.
    The .msi file is there on my computer but the installer can't seem to access it - and it's not because of anti-virus ( turned off ) or any other interference that i can find.They even sent me a link to a RC version without result.
    I am wondering if it is something blocking it on my computer, but I am at a loss to know what. This is in fact the second program I've had this trouble with - the other was Calibre ebook manager and I had to install the portable version of that.
    BTW, I still have not installed W7 SP1, though all the other patches have installed fine.
    I would be immensely grateful for any thoughts on this odd problem.

Thanks
    Hi Aravis,

What error message, if any, are you seeing when Evernote fails to install?

Here are a few suggestions.

Right click the Evernote executable and select 'Run as Administrator' from the context menu. This provides you with elevated Administrator rights that members of the Administrator group do not automatically possess.

Type Event Viewer in the Windows Start menu search box and press Enter. In Event Viewer look at Windows Logs, particularly the Applications Log and System Log for any critical errors generated at the time you attempt to install Evernote.

See this SevenForums tutorial on how to run the System File Checker to verify and replace system files that may be corrupted.

Log on to Windows 7 with a different Administrative user profile to see if you can install Evernote. If so, there are problems with your current user profile.

Check out this MS Support Article on troubleshooting .msi problems. The article covers a broad range of issues. The section titled Installing or updating programs in Windows may not have completed successfully may be the most useful. Click the link beneath the title to view the details. Some of the section may not apply to your situation, but the segment titled Programs that are currently running on your computer may be interfering with the installation process might be helpful.

Maybe one of these will help. Others may have additional thoughts.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-16 at 08:59. Reason: added new link

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I did use Adminstrator rights, but the only thing that worked was in a Microsoft article that said to give full rights to SYSTEM. I eventually found how to do this and it did install; though later when I went to the temp folder that was giving all the trouble, I found that it defaults back to Read Only all the time. Should this be? I wonder if I am going to have to reset it each time I want to install from an msi file.
    does anyone think I should delete that temp file and make another one?
    I haven't yet tried logging on with a different Administrator user profile. Maybe I should do that!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just want to report that the trouble was corrupt system files - now fixed with scannow. Thanks very much for your help, Deadeye81.

Thanks
    You are very welcome. I'm glad SFC worked in your situation, and thank you for posting back with your solution.