New Lounger
    Thanks

changing folders/files on Win7 back up

Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and it came up blank....

I am VERY new to Win7 and am NOT a techie. I have set Win7 Back-up and Restore up to do a back-up, only on C drive as well as a create a system image (if that is the correct term). All that is on C drive at this point is system stuff and program files. This all I want it to back up.

I will be adding data files on C drive that I will not want backed up through Win 7 Back-up and restore. (I do my own backing up onto external drives for all my data, image and music files - yes I know that might not be the best, but that is what I do for now)

As I designated all of C drive for now, once I get the other data on it I will want to ensure it is not backing up the new data files/folders on C

There seems to be no way to change the original designation of the files/folders I have set up foir the back-up. Is there a way to change that in the future ?

Thank you

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know what method you're using to backup you're files but using Replicator http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp may help you there. It's a simple, small application that's pretty much straight forward.
    I know you stated that you're not a techie but in regards to not backing up certain files, I would partition your hard drive and put all your docs and such on the new partition.
    To do this first download and install an imaging program such as Macrium Reflect
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp
    Another simple to use program with a tutorial on the website. This is your fallback in case something goes wrong with the partitioning- just make sure that the image is saved on another drive, can be external, attached to the PC. All you would have to do is use the disk you create during set-up to bring everything back. Instead of backing up the C drive you really need to use an imaging program because the operating system is different from other files in that it is all inter-related and backing it up normally doesn't work. Using the imaging software will ensure you will always have a way to bring it back.
    Then follow the instructions located here to partition the drive
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...disk-partition
    Simply click "To create and format a partition (volume)" on that site and it will provide you with all the needed steps.
    Once you have the new partition copy all your files to it and setup Replicator to back them up to your external drive and everything is covered.
    Last edited by butchcoats; 2011-06-17 at 09:01.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to butchcoats For This Useful Post:

jrr (2011-06-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Butchcoats.

Right now I manually to the back ups. I realize that is not good and have had issues with out of synch back-ups (naturally when done manually)

I will look into your suggestions in the longer run.

I use one of Karen's power tools now (directory to printer) Its a shame she has died, her software is very useful. Hopefully we won't lose access to what is available right now

Right now, however I am looking for a way to re-configure, if required, the settings in WIN7 Back-up - Restore that I have set up. I can't see anyway to do it.

Thanks again

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have egg all over my face

I just looked at it again (about the 10th time) and discovered CHANGE SETTINGS will do what I want (duh!!!)

I will blame it on my old brain thrying to cope with the change over the Win 7 from XP and going to formal back-ups !!

That is my story and I am sticking to it.