New Lounger
    Thanks

How do I Know I'm Operating at USB 3.0 Speed?

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2 Tb GoFlex 3.0 USB external hard drive. I have it connected to my laptop via an Express card USB 3.0 adapter.

How do I know that it is indeed operating at USB 3.0 speed? In the old days you would get a message from Windows if you plugged a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.0 connector. Does something like that exist in Vista/Windows 7?

Is there a good free benchmark progam I can use to check this out?

TIA

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There are plenty of benchmark programs (Google is your friend), but you really need a fast SSD on the other end to test the USB throughput - 5Gb/s (roughly 500MBytes/second after overhead) is not possible on a "normal" hard disk, except from the cache.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the prompt reply, Paul. I will google for a benchmark program. Do you recommend any that have worked well for you?

Also, I assume if I run a typical benchmark test and compare a USB 2.0 to a 3.0 drive, I will see a significant difference, right? Also, I assume your comment holds true for an eSata drive as well?

Again, thanks for the reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To close out this thread, I just wanted to say I downloaded PC Wizard 2010. It seems to do what I want and more, and I am learning a lot from using it.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Using a mechanical hard drive will not provide maximum throughput because the drive will not be able to sustain data transfer, unless you only test with a single file that is smaller than the disk cache - up to 8MB these days. Hopefully the test program will take this into account.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. It had few different parameters it displayed. I tested enough drives on a couple of different systems to convince myself that the USB 3.0 drives were operating significantly faster than the USB 2.0 drives on the given computer.