Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do people usually fix an SDHC card that has gone bad.

I was curious about how to fix an SDHC card that has started telling the camera the memory card has an error and that it is locked. Then when you went to put it in the computer the computer won't recognize it at all either. I did a Google on this problem and the only thing I could find was about the little slide on the side that would lock the card.
    That was not the case with this as it happened in the camera. We were at a Luau in Maui and the card went to 0 and said Memory card error. Not a nice thing to see when you have a couple days worth of pictures from Kauai and another couple from Maui. I then placed the card in the computer when we got back from the Luau hoping I could recover them from the card. No program was going to be able to recover them because now the computer will not even recognize the card when I put it in. I cleaned the contacts on the card with a Q tip to make sure they were not dirty but that still did not help.
    I was curious to find out what people have done to get the card to work. I did come up with a solution but am just wondering what others have done.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    You can try to reformat it. If that doesn't work buy a new one. Not much else you can do. They're cheap enough that it isn't worth the effort to try to fix them if it is even possible, which I don't believe it is unless you have a very tiny soldering iron and an electron microscope.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My main concern was to get some pretty important pictures out of it. Reformatting would erase them. The other thing is that the camera and computer would not allow me to do anything to it. The camera just kept on saying it was locked and would not allow me to do a thing. The computer would not even recognize the card being inserted.

Thanks
    Try downloading Recuvia it can often resurrect pictures if only the directory structure is bad.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried the recovery programs but it is pretty hard to recover something when it is not recognized in the devices by your computer. In fact it is impossible.

Thanks
    Sorry, I'm out of Ideas.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post

I was curious to find out what people have done to get the card to work. I did come up with a solution but am just wondering what others have done.
    ingeborgdot,
    Just a guess... how about cleaning the card with alcohol (not drinking kind) while moving the slider ... ? Then "blow it out" with some canned air. Could be just some gunk causing problems... Worth a shot Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My question would be why would it just stop working when it was still in the camera and while I was taking a picture?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ingeborgdot View Post
    My question would be why would it just stop working when it was still in the camera and while I was taking a picture?
    ingeborgdot,
    Hello...loose "gunk".... Have no idea.... there is nothing to loose in trying. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I understand what you are saying. If you read my last sentence you would have noticed I said I got it to work. I did not have to do that to get it to work. I will tell you guys what I ended up doing. I stuck it in the freezer for almost an hour. I took it out, stuck it in the camera and presto, it worked. I next stuck it in the computer and the computer recognized it and I quickly downloaded all the pictures and video onto the computer. It still works now but I will only use the card for things I don't care if I lose or not. Kind of crazy huh.

Thanks
    ingeborgdot,

Sounds like a heat related problem to me. That is, when the card reaches a certain temp one of the circuit traces separates when it cools it reconnects. This is a common problem with printed circuit electronics and one which drives technicians crazy as it is extremely difficult to diagnose.

I'm glad you recovered your pictures. If I were you I'd ditch the card as I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It was 75 degrees outside with a cooling breeze when this happened. When I took it back to the hotel it was 72 in our room. It sat in our room for over an hour or so while I worked with it. I don't think it was heat related at all.
    Yes, I will not use it for anything I care at all about. I may just keep it and test it periodically to see how long it goes before it does this again.

Thanks
    I worked on electronics for many years and this does appear to be a heat problem. When you cooled it sufficiently, it began to work. This is a heat problem, it just fails at room ambient, and I would assume above that. it works a colder temps. That is the definition of a heat problem.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It worked today at 85. I just tested it for a while and it has worked all day. I did not take anything special but just kept playing and it kept working.

Thanks
    I would not trust this card. At the inexpensive cost of these cards today, toss the intermittent one and purchase a new card. Not worth the hassle.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast