5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restore button minimizes instead (Excel 97 SR2)

This only happens in Excel. When the user clicks the restore button, the program minimizes to the taskbar. Clicking or even double-clicking on the taskbar won't restore the program. You have to right-click and select Maximize. It then maximizes full screen. The user wants to have the restore button work properly so he can have multiple windows open. Hmmm I've seen this. But, I can't remember the fix. Any ideas?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restore button minimizes instead (Excel 97 SR2)

Probably excel.exe is somehow corrupted. Replace it with the latest update available ( http://office.microsoft.com/download...xl8p10pkg.aspx ). I hope it will solve your problem.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried that. Didn't fix the problem. Thanks, any other suggestions?

Lounger
    Thanks

Does it happen for all workbooks? Have you checked for VBA routines in any open workbooks for the Workbook_WindowResize event? Could be corrupt code or simply a routine with badly written logic.
    Ewan.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, it happens for all workbooks. I have not checked VBA routines because it was working fine yesterday, and neither the user nor I created any VBA code yesterday (the fact is, we don't really even know how!). I keep thinking that I've heard of this before and it was something fairly simple, like manually resizing the window. I've tried that, by the way, and it didn't work.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There is a bug in XL 97 that will cause this symptom that is documented in the MS Knowledgebase (its not real easy to find). I don't have time to search for it now, but if you can't find it reply to this message and I will try to find it later.
    Legare Coleman

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Legare. I found something in the knowledge base about Excel opening in the same state as the last workbook when Excel was closed. But, that doesn't seem to be it. The restore button doesn't seem to work at all. It's either maximized or minimized. I'll keep searching the knowledge base, too.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

This is one of the articles that I was thinking of. There is also another one that I haven't found yet.
    Legare Coleman

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe Legare was thinking of this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q159/2/30.asp?LN=NL&SD=gn&FR=0>knowledge base article</A>.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That is one of the ones I was thinking of, but not the one I really thought might be the problem. The one I was thinking of was about the window moving itself off the screen where it could not be seen, and therefore when you clicked on the task bar button it restored to a position off the screen. I can no longer find that article. Therefore, it might have been XL 95 and no longer in the KB.
    Legare Coleman

Lounger
    Thanks

As windows remembers the last partially sized setting you could try and run this code:
    Sub resizingwindow()
    '
    ' resizingwindow Macro

With Application
    .WindowState = xlNormal
    .Top = 1
    .Left = 1
    .Height = 300
    .Width = 300
    End With
    Application.WindowState = xlMinimized
    Application.WindowState = xlMaximized
    End Sub

I will attatch a blank worksheet with this macro in it if you don't feel like copying it to VBA.
    On my system (win95b, excel97sr2), after running the macro then pressing the restore button takes me back to the 300x300 setting.

Ewan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I read the article, and I am intrigued. When I log onto this workstation, the problem doesn't exist. I had him delete his personal.xls and a file he had in the XLstart directory. But, it didn't fix the problem. What would be different between us logging on? Does it load a profile of some sort? We don't use the Profiles in Windows, but is there some automatic thing in Excel that attaches to a certain person? I checked, save as workspace, and he hasn't done that. Any other ideas?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just had this problem last week and figured it out after a little bit of trial and error. What I did with mine was resize my desktop to as small as possible (1280 x 1024 on my pc). Then I 'restored' Excel (so it disappeared to the taskbar).

Then I pressed <ALT> and then the up arrow and then the left arrow key to get the Restore, Move, Size, Minimize, etc. menu to show. I chose move and then started holding down my up arrow and I think the left arrow, too, since Excel seemed to disappear to the bottom right of the screen when I did the restore.

It took a LONG time of doing this, but eventually my Excel window showed up.

Maybe this would work for you, too?