Lounger
    Thanks

Web browser control in Access 2010

On my Windows 7 desktop, with Adobe Acrobat X installed, I can easily use Access 2010's new web browser control to view PDF files associated with individual records in my Access table. Great new feature!!

On a second Windows 7 computer, however, I don't have Adobe Acrobat installed, but only Acrobat Reader. When I use the same Access database on the second computer, the Web browser control opens the PDF file in Reader itself, rather than in the web browser control. In other words, Access continue to point to the PDF file correctly, but I can't view the file in the Access form on which I have placed the web browser control. This seems like a problem with a simple solution, but I can't figure it out. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    In Aadobe Reader check your web options at Edit | Preferences | Internet. Open the PDF in the browser should be selected.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2010 Web Browser Control Sends PDF File to Acrobat Reader

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    In Aadobe Reader check your web options at Edit | Preferences | Internet. Open the PDF in the browser should be selected.

Joe
    Thanks for your response--I appreciate the ability to connect! I checked Reader and saw that the "Open PDF in Browser" was selected. To test it, I unselected and tried to open a PDF in my IE browser, and the file went intstead directly to Reader. I then selected the option and the PDF file opened in the IE browser.

But, in Access 2010, the web browser control still causes the PDF file to open directly in Reader. As I said, the web browser control works OK on my other computer. I'm wondering if there's a setting in Access that I need to make on my second computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    There isn't really very much to control in the web browser control. I believe that Adobe Reader is all that is required.

Have you tried reinstalling Reader?

Are all the machines up-to-date with patches for Office & Adobe?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2010 Web Browser Control opening PDF in Separate Reader Window

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    There isn't really very much to control in the web browser control. I believe that Adobe Reader is all that is required.

Have you tried reinstalling Reader?

Are all the machines up-to-date with patches for Office & Adobe?

Joe
    I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat Reader, but I got the same results. The Windows OS is up-to-date. The only difference that I can identify between the computer on which the Access web browser control works OK and the one on which the control does not work OK is that the second computer has Reader rather than the full Acrobat. But even on the second computer the IE browser successfully opens PDF files in the browser. I hope this mystery will be revealed!