New Lounger
    Thanks

Virus after installing patches

I installed Tuesdays patches on the laptop today. When I rebooted I had a virus that wouldn't let anything run. It was Vista Antivirus 2012 saying I have a number of viri and wanting me to pay for it to remove them. It had also disabled Microsoft Securities Essentials.

I wound up formatting and starting over. PITA

BTW, IE 7, which was the version on the build, wouldn't run until I removed the Yahool Tool.

jn
    Jim Neely
    www.jneely.net

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Probably booting in Safe mode with networking would have allowed you to download Malwarebytes anti-malware, which most likely would catch and clean that bogus antivirus.

Thanks
    I have to believe you had the virus prior to patch Tuesday, but it simply manifested itself while you were trying to upgrade. Did some kind of pop up window start this rogue going? Quite often these rogues are reprogrammed so that clicking on the Red X starts the process. The best way to close these unexpected windows is the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and stop the process.

Sometimes the hardest security breaches to stop are the users themselves. We sometimes have to stop the urge to click on boxes just because they are there.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy