New Lounger
    Thanks

Get rid of "Reserve au systeme"

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I recently received a pc that had Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit installed on it. It was in French. I changed the language to English but there was still a lot ot things still in
    French that I could not read. I installed the English version from a dvd so that I would have a clean install. It did not work because there are still things that come up in French.

My problem is that it still has 2 partitions on it. I want to get rid of partition 1 and all that came on the pc in French or at least wipe that partition clean. I did not know Reserve au systeme was even on the pc until I found something that said to show all drives. System restore did not even show it

It says that my install is on partition 2.

Reserve au systeme
    72.1 MB free of 101MB is on partition 1.

It says partition 1 is the selected partition and will not let me change it.

I have tried unhiding all files and folders but still the only files that are visible to me are in a temp folder that is only 24.0 KB and has 6 files in it:

bcdinfo
    bootfailure
    disklayout
    SrtTrail
    srtTrail
    uploatrecord

I have tried to change the selected partition to my install on partition 2 but it will not boot when I do. I tried to reformat partition to get rid of Reserve au systeme, but it would not reformat that partition.

Can someone tell me how to wipe the hard drive totally clean and get rid of Reserve au systeme forever so that I can do a clean install.

Thanks

Thanks
    The reserve partition is where the Win 7 bit locker info is stored. In my ultimate Win 7 I have removed this partition. Since this partition falls in front of Win 7, the Win 7 Disk Manager can be used to delete this partition and format it, but not reclaim the space. You would have to use a 3rd party app such as Partition Wizard to accomplish this.

1- Type disk management in the search bar. Both the reserve partition and the Win 7 partition should be shown. Right click on the reserve partition ans Delete. You can also Format from here.
    2- Use Partition Wizard to reclain this space into the C Drive.

Now you will have 1 partition on your PC. You may now have to fix the MBR (it is set on this reserve partition in some cases). This method shows how to fix the MBR. I suspect you do have an original Win 7 installation disk, but for those that don't the System Repair disk you made (You did make a System Repair disk from Backup and Restore didn't you) will sufficce.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

ninajb (2011-06-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, that took care of it. I have the original Win 7 installation disk which I had to use to reinstall windows. I had made both the system repair and the dvd which it said to make for restore but, when I tried to use them first, it did not recognize either of them. It said to use the installation disk or contact the company for instructions. That is why I had to do a reinstall from the installation disk.

I have just finished installing and updating my security programs and Windows updates. It took a long time.

Thanks
    Glad things are back to an operational state. Check the Security and Backup forum for discussions on Imaging, then consider this as an alternative to reinstallation. Much quicker to restore froman Image than to reinstall.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Not that it matters now, but Windows Ultimate allows the use of language packs. With the download of the required language pack, the Windows UI will display normally on the language of the language pack. My original OS language is english, but I have the portuguese language pack. I rarely change but, when I do, there are no mixed UI languages.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, I'll check out the security forum because I don't want to try reinstall again. I didn't know that there were language packs.

I have another problem. I had omitted to add the Hosts file when redoing my pc and just now did it and am having problems with it. I use HostsMan and Host Toggle.

HostsMan updates from:

MVPS Hosts
    hp Hosts
    hp Hosts (partial)
    hp Hosts (Ad and tracking)
    Peter Lowe's adServers List

When I go to the host file and try to disable it I get one of these messages:

"File in use
    The action can't be completed because the file is open in Cryptographic Services"

"HostsMan
    Another program is using Hosts file.
    Try again later."

Other times I also am getting a message that says that the hosts file cannot be disabled when there is a file already called hosts.off. I go in and delete that file, but as soon as hit disable again it reapears and the same message comes up.

Also, I cannot get online with the hosts file on the pc now. It shows that it is connected to the router but it will not connect to the internet. I had to go in in safe mode to delete the host file so it would go online.

I have the following security installed and did not see any that are locking the hosts

Avast anti virus
    Spybot
    Spyware Blaster
    Spyguard
    Windows Firewall

What can I do o get online?
    Thanks