Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What does "Locked" mean?

When I start Windows 7, the screen shows my picture and user name, plus the word "Locked." What is "Locked?"

I don't find mention of it in any of my books, or in Windows 7 help.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    It means that you must enter your password in order to "unlock" the PC.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    As an addition to what bbearren has stated, if the PC is a laptop, it is good practice to always have the PC "locked" until you input your password. This makes it a little harder for unwanted individuals to access your PC if it is misplaced.

For desktops, I guess it would be personal preference if the desktop is not generally used by many others, but also good practice if more than just you can and do access the PC to prevent unauthorized use.

I have found that it is a habit to password protect our PC's, both laptops and desktop. It only takes a second to input the password, as long as you remember what that password is.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2011-06-19)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    "Locked" can also occur after wake up from a screen saver, even if there is no password on the account - if that option is enabled in the screen saver wizard. In that case, simply click the account name or picture in the login screen.

Building on Ted's comments, although this maybe a little off topic (sorry!), it is better to run a single admin account with a good password, then operate the machine on a day to day basis from a standard account (with password). This significantly improves security, so long you can accept the prompt for the admin password whenever you want to change or install programs.

Please also bear in mind, that even with a password on your account, your information is in no way secure. The disk can be removed in minutes and the data read off using another machine, or the PC can be booted from a Live CD to access the data without removing the disk.

Thanks
    Having passwords on your PC basically keeps "honest people honest". It makes it more difficult for the casual observer to see what's on your PC, but as Tinto states it will not be a deterent for a determined individual.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2011-06-19)

Thanks
    I don't have a password on the computer that displays the unwanted "Locked" message, nor do I want one. It's not a real big deal, but I'd like to suppress the display of the word "Locked."

Is there a way to do that? (And if there is, what is it?)
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the word "locked" is appearing because you you woke the PC up from the screen saver, then on the Screen Saver Settings dialog (you can get there by right-clicking the background, select Personalize, and then click the Screen Saver link), uncheck the "On Resume, display logon screen".

If that doesn't help, try taking a picture of the screen with that word and post it - that will give us a better clue as to the state of the PC at that time.

Thanks
    If the issue is your PC does not boot directly to the OS and instead boots to the log in screen, there are procedures to bypass the log in screen. This Windows Seven Forum tutorial explains some.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2011-06-19)

Thanks
    This is interesting. The problem is fixed, but in a possibly unusual way.

Maybe I didn't make it clear, but my computer would go to the login screen whenever it would restart or return from sleep. The login screen always had the mysterious word "Locked," but nothing seemed to be locked, and there wasn't any password. I could get to the desktop just by clicking my picture on the login screen. Not having much experience with Windows 7, I thought it just worked that way. I DID wonder about "Locked," however, and posted my question here.

By following the advice and links above, I figured out that the login screen could be bypassed when starting up. My computer now bypasses it, but I didn't have to go through any of the steps recommended above(!).

As I started to go through those steps, things weren't working as they seemed they should -- nothing major, but something wasn't quite right. My account name was Louis 'Skip' Sander (note the single quotes), and it was an Administrator account. Along the way I thought maybe Windows 7 didn't like the single quotes, so I changed my account name to Louis Sander.

Bingo! I no longer get the login screen when my computer is restarted or shut off then turned back on. Time will tell what happens when it returns from sleep, but I'm betting that I won't see the login screen.

Making that long story short: Maybe Windows 7 doesn't like special characters in account names.

Thanks to all for their comments on this little problem.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Could this setting have been the problem for the former user??
    Capture.PNG

Thanks
    I don't remember what setting was in effect before. It is definitely "no password now," though.

And I do NOT go to the logon screen when returning from sleep.

Bottom line: It's working the way I want it to. Thanks again, all.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Lou thanks for posting back with your solution. There are definitely places where characters are not welcome. This appears to be one of those places.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-06-20 at 03:58.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ted, apostrophe's are not disallowed characters in a username. See image attached.

There must have been some other issue, perhaps as Zig noted.

Anyway, it's working as Lou wanted now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Yeah, it's hard to tell what caused the problem, or what may have cured it. I know for sure that the single quotes were NOT disallowed in my username. I also know for sure that when I eliminated them, my computer no longer showed the login screen when it booted up or awoke from sleep. HOWEVER, I was also poking around for other solutions, and I may have done something that was the REAL fix to the problem.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    One more thing to remember -- many laptops have a BIOS issue where the Sleep function does not behave as it is supposed to do. My Toshiba Satellite had to get a BIOS Update (Flash the BIOS) before it would stop automatically going to the "Locked" screen upon returning from Sleep. And in my case, no password, even the correct one, would unlock the screen. It is fixed now (since the BIOS flash) and things seem back to where they should have been to begin with.

The settings mentioned in previous posts in this thread are more likely causes of this type of error, but I just thought I'd mention that several brands, not just Toshiba, have had this BIOS issue. Technically, it's the Power Management ACPI which is at fault.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast