2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making image copy of C: to a new drive??

I want to upgrade my C: drive to double its capacity. What's the best way to do that without having to reload all the applications and the operating system? I'm running winndows 7-64 bit. I have plenty of other spare disk capacity to use in making the transition to a new C: drive.

Is it best to use System Image? (I'm having trouble getting it to run. It complains that I don't have sufficient disk space to do the Shadow Copy, even though I have 3GB free on a 60GB SSD drive, which is my present C: drive.)

Or is there a better way?

Thanks for any help.

Bob Chapman

Thanks
    If you have only 3GB free on a 60GB drive, then you don't have enough room for a drive image. You need to image to an external drive.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Instead of using Win 7 Backup and Restore (a very basic app) I would go with a 3rd party app for this operation, then use an Ext HD for storing the backup. Creating Images is a great habit to get into even when not moving to a new HD. If disaster strikes, and your Image is up to date, it only takes minutes to be back up and running.

The 2 most mentioned 3rd party apps are Acronis True Image Home (free to try, paid app) and Macrium Reflect (free). Both have been discussed extensively in the Security and Back up forum.

To move your info from the old HD to a new larger HD there are 2 methods:

1) Create an Image using whatever app you choose and the instructions shown for that app (remember to make a Rescue Media for whatever app you choose to use). Store that Image on an Ext media. Install the new HD (I'm not sure if you have to format the new HD or not, but it can't hurt), insert the Rescue Media you created and boot to it. It will ask where you want to restore the Image to, point to the new HD, it will ask where the Image is located, point to the connected Ext HD, then proceed.

2) Connect both HD's and Clone the old HD to the new HD. The app you choose should have instructions on how to do this. This step is much more difficult on laptops, but should be relatively easy on desktops.

Either of these methods is relatively easy and generally problem free.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Freeware

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks ...

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.