Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting an Administrator user account

Initially my home-office computer just booted up to my desktop. I am the sole user of this computer and its administrator. About a year ago I was having some problems and ATT support, in helping me solve them, created an Administrator User Account (in addition to my regular User account (Keith). When I restart my computer now I have to chose between Keith (the only account I use) and "Administrator". I would like to get rid of "Adminstrator" User user showing up, so I just boot up to a desktop. (I don't use a password to get into this home computer.

But the User "Administrator" does not show up under Control Panel--User Accounts (only Keith shows up there). So I can't delete the account in the usual way. "Administrator" User account was created in an unusual way, which I don't remember.

So, I wish to get rid of the "Administrator User Account", keep the Keith User account, continue to be the administrator for my computer, and have my computer boot up to my desktop.

Thanks, kdoc

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Kdoc,

Try this:
    Hidden User Accounts

You can make a user account disappear, yet remain a full functioning account. The process does involve a registry edit.
    Normally when you log into XP, you see the startup screen where you see all the icons for the users who can access. We are going to hide aa account from this screen. If you want to log on as this user you have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen to make a Windows Security dialog box appear. Here you can type in the user name and password of the hidden account and log in. Limited Users shouldn't be able to see any sign of you except for the listing in the Documents and Settings folder. Other administrative users will be able to see your hidden account in Control Panel/User Accounts, so keep this in mind when you're planning this out.
    Before you begin with the instructions you should back up your System.
    1. Start, Run and type regedit and click OK
    2. Navigate to HKEY\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\Userlis t.
    You will not see this folder if you do not have show hidden system files turned on.
    3. Create a DWORD value, right click on the User list label file on the left side of the screen and select New>DWORD. You'll see the new entry in the right pane of the window, rename this value the name of the user account you want hidden (exactly how it is listed in the Startup screen, case sensitive) and leave the value at 0.
    4. Close your Registry Editor.
    5. Restart the PC.
    When the Welcome screen comes up you'll notice that there's no icon for the user you just concealed. So how do you log in? This is where you press Ctrl+Alt+Del 2x's and the Windows Security Dialog box will come asking you to authenticate (name/password) after this the system should log you in.
    Here's one more thing you might want to keep in mind—Windows logon screen. This is the screen where you see the available users you can choose to log in as. You can turn this option on/off in the User Accounts (Start/Control Panel/User Accounts) then Change the way Users log in or off and Use Windows Welcome Screen and you need to turn it off if you plan on using a hidden account and there are no other accounts on the system. The reason why is, Windows doesn't have any user accounts to display in the Welcome screen, so it will continuously reboot. Now if you do run into this or any problems simply enter Safe mode at the next boot, this will allow you to go to the User Accounts Window and fix any problems. If you find that you can't log in at all with your hidden account go back and look at the registry value you created. Make sure you're spelling the user name is correct and that it's in the right location in the registry.

Good Luck
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You really want to have at least two Administrator-level accounts on your PC - otherwise if something goes wrong, it's a complete reinstall of Windows.
    So use RetiredGeek's way of making Administrator hidden!
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In searching around, I discovered that my usual User--the one I use, in my name, Keith--is not labeled in the Control Panel as an Administrator, and the Control Panel won't let me change it. The User labeled "Administrator" does not show up in that Control Panel, but does show up if I log onto the Administrator User--then Keith doesn't show up in the Control Panel. So I have only one "Administrator." Also, this isn't XP, it's Win 7.

Changing with Registry isn't exactly my cup of tea. How dangerous is this? Under the circumstances it looks like I'll end up with a hidden Administrator, and Keith will no longer be an Admin?

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks
    When you are at Control Panel | User Accounts and Family Safety | User Accounts isn't there a link second from the bottom in the right pane that says "Manage Another Account"?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are indeed correct about that. And I also note that as subheadings of "Keith" and "Administrator" Users, they both say "Administrator" here. So, how do I be sure "Keith" stays as Administrator and user Administrator is gone? Incidentally that also shows "Guest" as "off" and that isn't seen when I boot up.

kdoc (Keith)
    Last edited by kcohn; 2011-06-19 at 18:15.

Thanks
    If the account is spelled "Administrator" it is the default Windows Administrator account. This account can't ge deleted, it can only be disabled. To hide it, you need to open the Management Console (right-click the Computer icon and select "Manage") and expand the Local Users and Groups item in the left pane, then click on Users. (This snap-in is not available in Windows 7 Home Premium.)

The Administrator account will be listed among the other accounts in the right pane. Highlight the account, and click Properties. Put a check in the box beside "Account is disabled", and then click OK. The account will then be hidden.

I have my default Administrator account hidden in just this manner. I have a password set for my Administrator account. It is also a good idea to have a second created account in the Administrators Group other than the account that you normally use, and password protect that one as well. That account can also be disabled, but like the Adminstrator account, can be enabled if needed for unusual circumstances.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2011-06-19 at 19:01. Reason: clarity
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Local Users and Groups is not in the Left pane of "Manage", and as you said, Snap in is not available in the Console in Windows 7.

kdoc

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Local Users and Groups is not in the left pane of Manage, and snap in is not available in Windows 7, as you've said.

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks
    In my experience if Windows says your account is a member of the Administrators group then it is. Remember, that starting with Vista and continuing with Windows 7 being a member of the administrators group is not the same as it was with XP. By default you do not have the same permissions and levels of access. That is why you must execute some programs, including installation programs, using "Run as Administrator".

By default the builtin Administrator is not visible on any version of Windows 7. If you don't see Local Users and Groups then you are not running a Pro, Ultimare, or Enterprise version of Windows 7.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kcohn View Post
    Local Users and Groups is not in the Left pane of "Manage", and as you said, Snap in is not available in the Console in Windows 7.
    Yes, it's not available in Windows 7 Home Premium. I edited my post to reflect that.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I don't know anything about Ultimare, Enterprise, etc. So given all of this, any suggestions?

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks
    It seems that your original request was to find a way to automatically login to Windows. See Auto-login your Windows 7 account for instructions.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That did it!!! All I had to do was:

1. Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to launch the “Run” dialog box.
    2. Type in control userpasswords2
    3. Press Enter. The User Accounts window will display.
    4. Uncheck the option “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”
    5. Then just type in Keith (the User I want to enter with) in the first box,
    6. Leave Password blank as it was to begin with
    7. And voila--done.

You have solved it Joe. And very simply! Thank you very much. I appreciate all the other help as well. I'm not too concerned about my home desktop computer having a password. (My laptop does).

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you got it working. Thanks for posting back.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast