New Lounger
    Thanks

Email encryption

I came across the following email programme recently which can also encrypt email messages.
    TrulyMail
    I was wondering if anyone know more about it and how safe it is to use?
    Thanks
    Selwyn Mendelsohn
    Last edited by Selwyn; 2011-05-26 at 04:26. Reason: left out essential info.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Selwyn, sorry, I had never heard of 'TrulyMail' till now, so can't advise on it. In my limited experience, the best email to use for security & easy of use is Gmail.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    first time I heard about it. anyway, lotus notes have this facility so I do not bother to look.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You can get a GnuPG plug-in for Outlook email clients. GnuPG is free and widely used. The Windows version.
    Enigmail for Thunderbird.
    You cannot use it alone, the receiver must also have it installed or the email won't be decrypted.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Selwyn View Post
    I came across the following email programme recently which can also encrypt email messages.
    Email using an IMAP account is encrypted to a certain degree and may be enough for what you need. If you need higher level protection then I would suggest using sMIME.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pjkarl View Post
    Email using an IMAP account is encrypted to a certain degree and may be enough for what you need. If you need higher level protection then I would suggest using sMIME.
    Just to be clear about that, IMAP servers may allow a secure connection from your device, but the message itself is not encrypted (i.e., it is in clear text in the Sent folder on your mail server, and downstream from your server) unless you take additional steps on your end.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You can get a GnuPG plug-in for Outlook email clients. GnuPG is free and widely used. The Windows version.
    Enigmail for Thunderbird.
    You cannot use it alone, the receiver must also have it installed or the email won't be decrypted.

cheers, Paul
    Of course, you can make it practical that way.