nsfmmorse

Problem and questions with "do not deliver before"

Question: Did the behavior of the "don't deliver before" option change between Outlook 98 and 2000? In Outlook 2000, the messages stay in the Outbox until delivered. In Outlook 98 they are not in Outbox. Is any of this documented?

Problem: A reasonably credible user has complained that the messages don't get delivered (i.e. they just sit in Outbox after the "don't deliver before" date). Are there any known problems with this? Anyone else see it?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem and questions with "do not deliver before"

Are you in corp or internet mail mode?

In corp, the don't deliver before option is spotty, everything gets sent immediately, unless using exchange server.

For IMO, everyone whose tried said it works.

Is the user using send immediately for normal mail? Does he use automatic mail checks or manually checks mail? Do the messages send if a mail check is done or outlook closed and reopened?

nsfmmorse

Ooops! Sorry. Corp mail. Exchange Server 5.5. Automatic send and receive. Opening, closing Outlook makes no difference.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

with exchange server it should work right, corp had problems when sending to pop accounts. i'll enable it on my system and see if i can repro.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did you ever find an answer for this? I have some users with the same problem. I can't reproduce on my network and can't find an answer.

Thank you!

nsfmmorse

Yes, I did. Actually, the user discovered the solution. It was not anything in the KB, which are very specific. The problem was that sometimes the user would View one of the messages, to see what time it was deferred to. If you do this, and simply close the message after peeking at it, it will never send. You need to close it by clicking "Send", and everything works fine. This strikes me as a Bug, not a Feature, but everybody is happy, so I'm not complaining.