Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Daily restore points --- NOT

Woody's big Win 7 book says, and I believe I have read it here, that Windows 7 creates a daily restore point.

Not one of my three machines do this, and all are used daily. There is only a restore point if I create one, or when there is a update installed or new software.

What goes?

BJ

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I googled daily restore tonight cause I was curious because I was not getting daily restore points. System Restore can be configured to create restore points at regular intervals. Users can also manually create and name a restore point at any time from within the System Restore user interface. These restore points are saved and compressed, and these choices are available to the user through the System Restore user interface. System Restore in Windows 7 creates a scheduled restore point only if no other restore points have been created in the last 7 days. System Restore in Windows Vista creates a checkpoint every 24 hours if no other restore points were created that day. System Restore in Windows XP creates a checkpoint every 24 hours of absolute time. (I did not check out the link on earlier reply, this might be a repeat)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow Yeah, it's a mystery

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Woody's big Win 7 book says, and I believe I have read it here, that Windows 7 creates a daily restore point. Not one of my three machines do this, and all are used daily. There is only a restore point if I create one, or when there is a update installed or new software.

What goes?BJ
    You're not alone--there are dozens of users (that I've found) who are experiencing the same thing, while hearing from other users whose daily restore points are just there, and from some users who've had the problem but swear they've found a fix for it. I suspect from the extent of the problem reports that there are probably thousands (tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands?) of Win7 users having the same problem who just don't know it, yet (but will learn the first time they have a system crash and find they don't have a recent restore point).

I'm one of the ones whose daily restore points haven't been there since shortly after my initial Win7 install (can't tell you how exactly soon after, as I didn't notice the problem for a few months). I've tried all of the fixes I've found (after hours of pouring through tech forums and blogs), but none have worked for me. My best guess is that there are multiple causes of this problem, and that it would be almost impossible for any of us to guess which one may (or may not) fix yours.

The daily restore point is created by a default Task Scheduler job named System Restore (in the Task Scheduler Library under \Microsoft\Windows). If you have the problem, running the job manually won't create a restore point; running the job command from a DOS command line (aka system console) won't create a restore point, either. The restore point creation routine is in an executable file named srrstr.dll--apparently it's either missing an external resource that it needs to complete its task or else another process is running that blocks it from completing its task.

My solution has been just recently dropped in my lap, when I initiated daily file backups using Windows Backup (I had been doing them weekly, but decided that my 1TB backup drive could handle the extra incremental backups). Lo and behold, I just realized that each time Windows Backup runs, it creates a restore point! Voila--daily restore points are back!

Whether this is your solution is up to you--you could spend hours like I did scouring the tech world for an elegant fix, or else just be resigned to the old saying that "Microsoft giveth, and Microsoft taketh away" (or in my case, transpose those).

If you're determined, however, you could try confirming that your Volume Shadow Copy service startup is set to Automatic--some swear that solved the problem for them (but not for me; can anyone whose daily restore points are being created confirm for us your VSC startup type?). At least that's one of the easiest proposed solutions to implement, so why not give it a try?

You could also try one solution that Microsoft suggests (in a tech article on their site about troubleshooting system restore problems): Use msconfig to turn off all startup programs, see if that allows srrstr.dll to do its thing, then (if it starts working) iteratively turn on startup programs and restart until you find the one that's blocking srrstr.dll (then decide which you'd rather live without). I've not been able to convince myself that it's worth the effort to try that one (even before I realized that Backup had already solved my issue).

Anyway, good luck with this, and let us know if you get it fixed (and, if so, how).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've always had this same problem since I bought this new Win7 computer a year ago. Mine says it should creat a Restore Point every day at startup but it doesn't. Is it possible that some of our problems are located in the Conditions tab of the Task Scheduler. I know that in my Condition tab it says "Start the task only if the computer is idle for: 10 minutes" and to "Wait for idle for: 23 hours". These don't make sense to me, why wait 23 hours. It also has a History tab, mine says its disabled and I can't find anywhere to turn it on. The following is a nice link showing what I'm talking about. I am not confident enough in understanding this scheduler to make any changes to it. I never use it and what I have now are my default settings. Perhaps one of you wise ones could tell us what the settings should be.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Arrow Task Scheduler and the SystemRestore job

Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    I've always had this same problem since I bought this new Win7 computer a year ago. Mine says it should creat a Restore Point every day at startup but it doesn't. Is it possible that some of our problems are located in the Conditions tab of the Task Scheduler. I know that in my Condition tab it says "Start the task only if the computer is idle for: 10 minutes" and to "Wait for idle for: 23 hours". These don't make sense to me, why wait 23 hours. It also has a History tab, mine says its disabled and I can't find anywhere to turn it on. The following is a nice link showing what I'm talking about. I am not confident enough in understanding this scheduler to make any changes to it. I never use it and what I have now are my default settings. Perhaps one of you wise ones could tell us what the settings should be.
    First, to enable the task history (which is helpful when troubleshooting), look in the right-hand pane of the Task Scheduler window, and click on "Enable All Tasks History." You can disable the history logging later, when you no longer need it (if you so choose).

Second, feel free to deselect all conditions on the Conditions tab of the SystemRestore job--you won't hurt anything, and it's possible that it might allow the job to start working. However, as I've said before, there appear to be a multitude of reasons why SystemRestore doesn't work, so don't be too surprised if this changes nothing.

If you'd rather cut to the chase, rather than monkeying around with all manner of things in Task Scheduler, do the following:
    1. Open Task Scheduler and navigate to the \Microsoft\Windows\SystemRestore job; select SystemRestore.
    2. In the right-hand pane, click on "Properties."
    3. In the SR Properties dialog, select the Actions tab.
    4. Select the "Start a program" action and click on <Edit...>.
    5. In the Windows Start menu, click on "Run..."
    6. Copy the contents of the Edit Action's "Program/script:" and "Add arguments:" fields and paste them (in that order) into the Windows Run dialog's "Open:" field (don't forget to put a space between the two clips you're pasting in), and click <OK>.
    7. Open the System Restore control panel; if you don't see a new restore point listed under "Recommended restore:," select the "Choose a different restore point" and click <Next>.

If, after all that, you still don't see a new restore point listed, then something is blocking the functioning of srrstr.dll (see my previous post in this thread for more details), and no amount of fussing around in Task Scheduler is going to get it to run.

Beyond that, you might consider setting up a daily file backup in Windows Backup, as this will also create a daily restore point (and having daily backups is never a bad thing, if you have the disk space to do so). If you do this, just be sure to not select the option to also create a daily system image--that takes quite a bit more disk space, and a daily system image is of questionable value.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool A better system restore

FYI to everyone: As a result of our discussion, I've discovered and tested a utility called System Restore Manager from The Windows Club. IMO, it's a superior way of managing restore points and system restores compared to Windows 7's own System Restore control panel.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bethel95 For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2015-01-17)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great info. Something must be blocking me as I tried you cut to the chase method. I will use the Restore Manager you've provided. I appreciate you taking the time to answer and also add this program.

Thanks
    Well I downloaded and ran it, appears to be working fine as it created a restore point and then when I checked it on the regular Windows restore it shows up there so I'm assuming it's working. I have it on a desktop shortcut and it's much easier/quicker than going through control panel etc. We need a guinea pig to see if the restore really works cause I'm chicken

Thanks
    OP here.. just so we're clear here, I never said "I" couldn't create a restore point. I do it By the Book via computer properties and it works fine. But Win7 system does not do a daily restore point. Only if new software or update is being installed.

BJ

Thanks
    Agreed as I said Win 7 is not suppose to have a daily restore (so I read down below) but I sure like the little restore utility, it's handy on the desktop.

System Restore in Windows 7 creates a scheduled restore point only if no other restore points have been created in the last 7 days.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    An interesting discussion. However, it seems that, my machine at least, Win 7 is scheduled to set a restore point every day, although at 12:00am when my machine us usually off, and on system startup.:cheers"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Some more observations.
    Interestingly even though the daily scheduled events are there the Restore Points are not.
    It gets better...the log entries show the event kicking off, twice, and one successfully executing!
    I created a manual RP just to make sure the process worked and it did see 1st attachment.
    I checked my Laptop and the same situation exists with one interesting difference on the trigger for the 12:00:00 daily RP it does not show AM/PM and the spin control just runs from 1:00-12:00-1:00 no AM/PM no 13:00-24:00.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Well I'm running Win 7 64 bit Home premium do you suppose that could be the difference. I don't have a clue. Below is what I found on a link that I don't remember I just googled restore point.

System Restore can be configured to create restore points at regular intervals. Users can also manually create and name a restore point at any time from within the System Restore user interface. These restore points are saved and compressed, and these choices are available to the user through the System Restore user interface. System Restore in Windows 7 creates a scheduled restore point only if no other restore points have been created in the last 7 days. System Restore in Windows Vista creates a checkpoint every 24 hours if no other restore points were created that day. System Restore in Windows XP creates a checkpoint every 24 hours of absolute time.
    It looks like a can of worms has been opened.

Thanks
    It makes sense to me.

In Windows 7 the system restore task will run as scheduled but will only create a restore point if one has not been created within the past 7 days. I haven't seen an automatic restore point for quite some time but there are plenty of others created, mainly through Windows Update and the occasional program install.

This does open up another avenue of discussion though, do we really need a daily restore point on what for most of us will be an established and stable system?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast