3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bluetooth not working after Vista SP2

Not sure where this thread belongs. I'm posting under Networking, but if the moderator thinks it belongs elsewhere, I'm fine with that.

I cannot sync my Windows Mobile 6.5 smart phone with my PC. I think this has only happened since applying Vista SP2. I can still sync by USB cable, but Vista does not see my smart phone, does not appear to be searching for anything - no little torch looking left and right.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks
    Hi John,

See if this MS Knowledge Base article helps with your Bluetooth problem.

Also, have you updated your Bluetooth drivers from the manufacturer of your PC or Bluetooth device after SP2?

See this VistaX64Forums thread about drivers. Good to check regardless of PC manufacture you have.

Another thing to try is to uninstall Bluetooth in Device Manager, and reboot to see if Vista detects and reinstalls Bluetooth.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-20 at 09:49. Reason: add additional link

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Deadeye81 - many thanks for taking an interest in my problem. Initially, I was frustrated as I thought that I had tried all that you suggested, this looked like familiar ground. MS KB led to a FixIt that said it did not work with my OS version; GRRR! I reckoned that I'd seen the Vistax64 forum page already.

Uninstalling Bluetooth via Device Manager was very much more fruitful. I don't think that I am home and dry, but I do think I can see what is causing the problem, and hope with your help that I might get there! Everything seems to have re-installed correctly via Device Manager, Scan for Hardware Changes, except for Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) #4. Device Manager says it has found software but the system cannot find the file specified. There are no "Other" devices with yellow triangle exclamations beside them. If I Google for RFCOMM etc. it goes to several sites that all then direct to Windows Update, but Windows Update does not produce this driver.

Please could you assist further?

Thanks
    I would uninstall the device drivers. Can you see the driver listed in Control Panel Program and Features? If not, uninstall the old driver from Device Manager. There evidently is a missing or corrupt file needed for it to install correctly. When Device Manager is looking for the driver, it is really looking for it on your hard drive, so it is attempting to load the faulty driver over again. Check your PC manufacturer's support site for a new driver and install it after removing the original driver.

Next, check out this Microsoft.com article on how to set up a Bluetooth device in Vista.

Also, if your PC is an HP, then some have found a solution by by installing the HP Wireless Assistant program for Windows XP, so if you have an HP and uninstall the Vista version of HP Wireless Assistant program, installing the HPWAP for XP, it may do the trick. You can read the thread here.

Here is a Windows 7 Forums article that also applies to Vista that may have some interesting info regarding your situation.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-20 at 16:01. Reason: additional link

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Deadeye81 - again, thanks for your help.

I used Device Manager to uninstall Bluetooth and all its related devices, I identified which were the drivers that could be causing the problem, and listed them.

I think what you were suggesting then was to make these drivers not discoverable to Device Manager when/if I re-installed Bluetooth. I assumed this could be by deleting them, moving them to somewhere that DM would not search, or re-naming to something else - I was going to insert a prefix of "1". Unfortunately, this was frustrated by my not having the required permission in \Windows\System32\Drivers. I tried doing this in Safe Mode, no better outcome. I guess that downloading "good" drivers to copy over and replace the suspect drivers would meet with the same result. Am I attempting to do something you did not intend, or am I missing something? One of the suspect drivers was fsquirt.exe; a file search found about a dozen instances of this.

Thanks
    Hi John,

This How to Geek tutorial walks you through taking ownership of files in Vista. This will come in handy at times. If you use this to successfully take ownership of the files, I would suggest copying any files to an external disk or USB thumb drive before deleting, so you can restore the files if anything goes amiss. As an alternative to taking ownership, you might right click the file name, select Properties, and look in the Security tab for permissions. You could possibly add your login name, set it with full permissions to see if that is effective. I would only take ownership of files in the System32 folder as a last resort.

However, after you obtain updated drivers as earlier covered, I would uninstall the current Bluetooth driver, and immediately install the newer driver before rebooting so as not to give Windows a chance to reinstall the old driver set.

Have you tried updating to new driver from within Device Manager> right click device name>Properties>Bluetooth driver tab and if so did it report your current driver as being up to date or did it just not find an updated driver?

Before doing any of the above, do you have a driver CD that came with your computer that may allow you to reinstall your current driver? If so, you might give that a shot. The missing or corrupt file in your current driver might be at the root of your Bluetooth not functioning, and this might restore that file to functionality.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-22 at 10:26. Reason: added more content

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Deadeye81 - sorry that I have been off the air since your last post on 22-June. What you were suggesting took me right to the brink of my comfort and competence zones. Further, this Bluetooth problem was only one of several niggles that had been growing increasingly annoying, and this pushed me over the edge to do a clean re-install of my OS. Mentioned this to my son, more of a techie than I am, who suggested that, if I was doing all that, to take to opportunity to trade up to Windows 7.

In short, I have done a clean re-install of Windows 7, and all my applications, and I feel very, very, much the better for it. Everything is working just fine, but I am afraid that we shall never know whether the solution that you were advocating would have worked.

I did not want just to fade away without a word, however; thank you very much for what you suggested, and your detailed and prompt replies.

Thanks
    Hi John, and thanks for posting back. I believe you will thoroughly enjoy Windows 7. While Vista eventually became a stable OS for many, Windows 7 is much better.

Enjoy!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill