2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fill-in form advanced search in Windows 7?

Windows Vista, for all of its weaknesses, had a nice fill-in form to run advanced searches for files. There were different fields for the filename (or a fragment of it), location, modification date etc. When I look in Windows 7 help, I find instructions for a command-line interface!!!!! with obscure strings of characters I must memorize!!!! This is so very 1975!!!! Is there an advanced file search form in Windows 7, and if so, how do I find it?

Thanks
    Hi jsallen,

Check out this short article for some tips on advanced searching through Windows 7 Explorer. Perhaps it will help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Partway there

OK, so the GUI function was moved into Windows Explorer. The article explains this, and says The actual search filters you'll see listed vary depending on the type of drive, folder or file thatís currently selected in the Explorer window.

But I tired this on a folder where the Details view shows name, date modified, type, size and length (the files are videos). The search only has the options of date and size.

Which leaves me with the command-line option if I need to search on anything else -- most usually, filenames and types.

Is there a way actually to select the available options?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Just type the filter and value in the search box such as type:exe, etc.

Joe

Thanks
    Check this Microsoft TechNet thread, basically the last post for some useful info.

This TechRepublic article by Greg Shultz is also very helpful.

Also, click the Organize button on the top left side of Windows Explorer to select Folder and Search options. Select the Search tab and under What to search choose the items to enable. If you want to search folder contents, be sure to select that option. Under How to Search, the first three options are very useful.

Another point of interest...take your mouse pointer, grab the left border of Windows Explorer search box, and drag to the left to be sure you see all the search criteria options. Depending on the folder type, some will not be visible until you expand the search box.

Windows Search takes some getting use to, but it works well after you experiment with it. There are many tutorials available on the Internet you can look up for more info.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-20 at 11:50. Reason: add link