Thread: Home Network

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Home Network

I have a Win2k computer, Pentium III 700mhz, and a Win98 computer, Pentium II 266mhz, networked through TCP and until recently the network worked fine. I don't know what happened but now whenever I try to access the Win2k computer through the network, even from the Win2k computer to the Win2k computer via My Network Places, I get the message..."not enough server storage is available to process this command". Access to the Win98 computer still works fine. I have checked all the settings, restored from Ghost, run the emergency Win2k routine, all to no avail. The MS Knowledge Base says it is a problem with NAV and Windows NT re stacks but I have checked the registry as instructed and it is OK. Symantec deny that it could be anything to do with their latest update. Where do I go from here?

Roger

Thanks

Re: Home Network

From <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jsiinc.com/suba/tip0100/rh0153.htm>JSI Tip #153</A>:

[b]153

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Home Network

Nope! Tried all that but it didn't work. But.... I think the problem may be related to another peculiarity consequent upon installing a PCI IDE 100 ATA Card. I installed the card so that I could add another hard disk. This I did but I noticed two odd things. 1) when I boot up, and before the windows drivers are loaded, the system hunts for and finds the new IDE device successfully but then reports that the "BIOS is disabled" before continuing the boot up procedure. 2) when I tried to start the computer using a Windows98 boot floppy ( I have a dual boot system) the resultant C: Drive turned out be the new disk 3 and the other disks 1 and 2 (Disk1 contains the proper C: Drive and two others) couldn't be found. Oh well...it didn't seem earth shattering. But I then found the new disk too slow on the new PCI IDE Card so swapped it over the the normal motherboard IDE and put the CD Writer on the PCI IDE Card. This fixed the speed problem and, I thought, would possibly fix the peculiar missing Disks 1 and 2 problem, but no, when booting from a floppy the C: drive turned out to be the new disk again. Now I have noticed that my networking problem is only related to the original Disks 1 and 2 and not to the new Disk 3!!! A clue, may be, is that at one stage, when in Command mode I went into FDISK to have a look at the disk information and found that the new Disk is reported as a normal DOS ext but the old Disks 1 and 2 are reported as Non-Dos! Yet when I ran Partition Magic everything looked normal. Do you think that the PCI IDE Card driver is messing up Disks 1 and 2 and if so is there anything I can do about it? Why is the BIOS disabled on boot up and does this have anything to do with it?

By the way, Lief, you have answered many a knotty problem for me and I am most impressed and grateful for the depth of your technical knowledge.

Roger