New Lounger
    Thanks

desktop icons: why do they move?

Hello, fellow loungers;
    I use Windows 7 HP on an Asus laptop. ON my desktop, I have 2 vertical columns of icons, about 13 icons. SOME mornings when I turn it on, I find that one of the columns has been move to the right side of the desktop even though I normally keep them all on the left side. When I drag them back to the left, no problem, but a day or two later, they will (probably) appear on the right side again.

Any ideas on how to stop this funny game?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Who else has access to this machine?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    only me, myself and I, DaveA.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you right click on Desktop, and then View, is autoarrange checked? If so, unchecking should let you keep them the way you want them lined up.

Dick

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Dick-Y; no it is not checked. I can drag/drop icons all over, no problem.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I've seen some strange effects with desktop icons when the screen size is adjusted.

Often this happens if you plug in a different monitor, but can also happen if you change the screen resolution.

Now, that doesn't appear to be the case here, but, it got me thinking: perhaps the video driver is failing and the screen resolution is being adjusted, causing icons to move around.

You might look in the event viewer to see if there is any indication of the video driver crashing etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OH, Tinto Tech; if I had realized it would make a difference, I would have mentioned that I DO HAVE an external monitor plugged in. I use it AND the lappy's monitor. But I have not made changes to the screen resolution and the external one has been in use for a very long time. I've never looked at the Event Viewer before and really have no idea how to use it. I have it running but cannot see how to do anything with it.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK StickMaker,

sounds like there might be something going on with the laptop recognising the second monitor, or the second monitor shutting down and the laptop trying to extend (or something weird like that!).

Anyway, to access the event viewer and look for any display driver issues, click Start and type "Event Viewer" without quotes in the Search Programs and Files box at the bottom of the Start Menu. Click on Event Viewer which appears at the top of the search results screen.

In the left hand pane, click the right caret next to Windows Logs, then check down through Application and System to look for relevant errors. In the centre pane a scroll list appears (it's likely to be big!) of entries. You can sort this in chronological order (it takes time to sort so be patient). Then look for an event around the time the problem occurs. Click on an event for an explanation.