1. New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2003: Can't change margins

I'm editing someone else's document, which has deep top and bottom margins, leaving a small amount of text on the page. I've tried everything I can think of to change the margins (which the margins tab shows as about one-half inch on top and bottom) but can't. I've changed the settings in margins tab, I've tried to move the vertical ruler (which seems to show the narrow margins) and have had no luck. Any ideas? I've copied and pasted the original into a new document, which didn't help. FWIW, the document was prepared on MS Works and moved to Word before I got it. Side margins are also narrower than I'd like, but I can live with them.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If there are multiple sections, you may need to select all before using the Page Setup dialog.

4. WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Turn on the formatting marks (click the in the toolbar). Look for empty returns in the header and footer. Also in the Page Setup dialog > Layout tab, check that the vertical alignment is set to Top.

Pam

5. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pam: That was the problem: empty returns in the header and footer. I have no idea where they came from, but they're gone now. Many thanks. I can stop banging my head against the wall.

6. WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Glad to know you got it fixed.