New Lounger
    Thanks

Best VPN Service?

Can anyone recommend a VPN service and\or plan? I am assuming the paid services will be faster than free services so I am already figuring on paying for a service. I am looking to be secure but just not over pay for something I don't need Any help is appreciated

Administrator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

Do you need to connect to work?

Do you need to connect to another PC?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the welcome

I don't really need it to connect to other pc's. I would like it more for the security aspect of it for going out on the internet. I have checked out vyprVPN and Witopia and both have different pay plans and do different things. I am lost when it comes to that kind of stuff so any help would be appreciated.

VyprVPN is really expensive at $20 a month and Witopia has a decent pricing plan between $39.99 and $69.99 for the whole year. But I have no idea if I am being sold stuff I don't need. I want my privacy but don't feel like getting ripped off either.

I don't understand the technical terms of LT2P or PPTP, SSL. I mean I know what SSL is but I don't know if I need it offered in a VPN.

As you can see, I am a little "Deer in the Headlights" when it comes to this subject so any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TeXaCo View Post

any help would be appreciated
    TeXaCo,
    Hello... Try just doing a search ..you can pull up many links about VPN, this is one that i found that might help you. VPN Reviews regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    VPNs are used to connect from one device/network to another device/network not for general access from your PC to a web site on the Internet. See Wikipedia - VPN for more information.

If you are concerned about protection while performing general Internet access, you should invest in a router that has a firewall and use a software firewall on the PC. Beyond that common sense in the sites you visit is the single biggest safety factor there is.

Joe

Thanks
    There are some subscription services you can use to get a secure connection at a wi-fi hotspot; these use technology similar to point-to-point VPNs. I think two of those services were mentioned in an article in the Windows Secrets newsletter around the time "Firesheep" hit the news.

Article: http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter...heep-snoopers/
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-06-21 at 13:20. Reason: Found it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    TeXaCo,
    Hello... Try just doing a search ..you can pull up many links about VPN, this is one that i found that might help you. VPN Reviews regards Fred
    Hi Fred, I have done many searches before even coming here but I figured I would come here and ask because of the amount of knowledge that is here. i didn't know if I could trust the review sites that I found out there and I didn't see any reviews from known sites that I trust.

Joe,

I have all the security items you talk about and I always use common sense in where I am going. I just feel that I have a right to my privacy and nobody needs to know my business including my own ISP which can see everywhere I go and every email I send.

below is from the Windows Secrets Article that jscher posted

VPNs do much more than simply foil Firesheep-like attacks; they provide complete end-to-end security, so nobody — not even your Internet Service Provider — can snoop on your communications or discover whether you’re using services they don’t like, such as BitTorrent. (The Lifehacker article, “How to boost your BitTorrent speed and privacy,” recommends using VPN with torrents, for many good reasons.)

With a VPN, data goes into the tunnel from your PC and out of the tunnel at the VPN server; it then goes to whatever site you’re accessing. Data returning to your PC comes back via the same route. Web sites see the VPN server’s IP address, not yours. So your IP address is effectively cloaked from everyone except the VPN server. Short of a court order, your IP address is protected.
    I am just looking to be as secure and private as I can be.

The service Woody talked about was the first service I looked at but it is quite expensive at $20 a month. I have looked at others, I just don't know what I need.
    Last edited by TeXaCo; 2011-06-21 at 16:29. Reason: more info

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I have seen them from $20.00 to $5.00 monthly, I guess I am looking for the perfect middle of the road answer. That's why I am asking for people's opinion and maybe first hand use, because I am not sure if the high priced VPN's do any more for you than the lower priced ones. I know you get what you pay for usually. But do you use or need all of the features that come with the higher priced services?

Just looking for some advice

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You also may find this app very usefull - VPN Watcher
    http://www.ugdsoft.com/products/vpnwatcher

it stops/suspends selected applications when your vpn connection is down for some reason, so, there would be no personal data sent to internet from your real ip

it worked fine for me with poker software

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used HideMyAss VPN services now over an year without any problems. I think they have reasonable prices, fast connections and plenty of servers to use.

I also like HideMyAss user interface which allows easily configure service to start in windows start up and change the IP or server location with just pushing the button or you can if you want easily configure it to automatically change IP once a minute or once an hour.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    HideMyAss VPN is a solid VPN service.

It can be found at www.hidemyass.com/vpn which, incidentally, is not an affiliated link : no need to pay a third party for a recommendation.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I apologize if I misunderstood and violated the forum rules but I can honestly tell that the price is the same regardless of whether link is used.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you guys for your replies. I have narrowed it down to two I believe

HMA and VyperVPN so if anybody has any thoughts on the two of these, I would appreciate it.

Obviously Vyper is almost double the price of HMA so I don't know what I am doing yet

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To late probably but I use https://ipredator.se/. You get a 3 day free trial to see if it works for you, its 150SEK (Swedish) for 3 months which translates to approx. $24.00 U.S. Also has a excellent install guide.