New Lounger
    Thanks

IE8 will not allow Microsoft Update to run

I use XP Sp3 and IE8
    Up until about a month ago all updates were downloaded and installed using Microsoft Update.
    I now get a message on the 'Information bar' that states the settings in use put my PC at risk. I also get a message page advising I need to allow ActiveX to run but there is no information bar message that allows me to do this. If I click on the information bar it repeatedly asks me to allow add-ons to run.
    I am also told that I do not have a search tool because a program has removed it and opens a box to allow me to add one. If I search to find one a try to add it I am told there are too many selected and yet there are none displayed.
    I am also told that zone settings need changed but if I try to do this am told I can't.
    I hold full administrator privilages and AV is current and scans once per week.

Can anyone offer any suggestion as to what has happened and wht the cure is. Has anyone a similar problem

Thanks
    Hi Duncan, try resetting IE8. tools > internet options > advanced tab & reset.

Attachment 28370
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried to reset IE8 also Microsoft fix.
    I notice also that explorer will not allow a change to classic in XP.
    This started with one PC I look after and has now spread to several as I log in as administrator. I have concerns this is a virus or malware. It seems from a general google search that I am not alone in finding this problem.
    A post to Microsoft has not revealed any response and neither has a post to our av provider.
    I know I'm not alone with this problem but none of the 'solutions' I've yet seen posted on google seem to make any difference.

Look forward to any suggestions to try

Thanks if you can help

Thanks
    Hi Duncan, reboot with the xp cd, sign in as administrator and try again.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Make sure you haven't picked up some malware. Download and run Malwarebytes.

Also go to tools > internet options and click on the connections tab. Click on LAN Settings and make sure the box next to use a proxy server is not checked.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2011-07-26 at 11:30.