Thread: Do I need SP1?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Do I need SP1?

Oh, my. I was just trying to follow Susan Bradley's Patch Column advice re. this SP1 and went to MS download site instead of trying to download it via Windows Update. I got so thoroughly confused about which of the listed SP1 files I was supposed to download, I fled back to Windows Update since it looked easier for me, a non-techie! Then I decided to check the Lounge before doing anything, found this thread - and am scared to death to touch the blasted thing!

Can I just avoid this Service Pack for now? I can't afford the time right now to do all the imaging and checking and ...

Help!

Linda

PS Am I okay to add to this thread since the topic is similar or should I be starting a new one?
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-06-20 at 19:06. Reason: Added PS question

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I moved this to its own thread.

Don't be afraid of SP1. You can download the complete SP1 from Windows 7 SP1. If you have 32-bit Windows 7 download windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe. If you have 64-bit Windows 7 download windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe. If you are not sure if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows right click on "Computer" and select Properties. In about the middle of the Windows the "System Type" section tells you the type.

Before installing a change as significant as a service pack do a full system backup.

Joe

Thanks
    Linda, No you don't "need" SP1. But it does add to the security and overall stability of your systems. as Joe says, make an Image. The time to Image Will be paid back many times over if something bad happens, not necessarily with SP1, but anything. To troubleshoot a problem is very time consumming, and there is not guarantee you will solve an intermittent problem. And to find a reinstall is needed, well lets just say, Oh my do you have a full day or two or three. Image!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You don't need it now, but you will need it to get updates sometime in the future. Until then, choose for yourself. Both Susan Bradley and Woody Leonhard are recommending installing SP1 sooner rather than later. Take your time, and read the articles suggested by Susan and Woody before proceeding. Personally, I shelled out $6.00-plus and ordered the SP1 DVD directly from Microsoft. I have a slower tier DSL connection, and wanted to conserve bandwidth.

And wait until a time when you have made an Image Backup of your System and Windows partitions (for 64-bit Windows 7). This will allow more peace of mind if anything goes wrong. Allow a half-day for the whole process, although the upgrade itself runs in under an hour on most systems.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2011-06-21 at 00:06.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    No rush in getting SP1, but you will need it eventually. Pick a time of your choosing and plan it out.
    I would advise not going via the Windows Update route, instead, download the offline installation package and sit on it until
    you are ready. Do not install it if you are having issues with your operating system, if you have any get them worked out prior to.
    Create an drive image type of backup if you are able to in the event you do encounter issues.

The service pack installation should be uneventfull for most people.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm replying to all of you here instead of to the new thread I'd mistakenly started - had lost this post before realizing Joe had moved it to its own thread. I appreciate all the detailed input. Given your suggestions I'm going to:
    a) do more reading about the patch and any "watch out" suggestions/advice
    b) go to the Microsoft site and download the correct version now (thanks to Joe and Ted on the other thread) so I feel I'm following Susan and Woody's advice, but hold on installation ...
    c) until I have an uninterrupted period of 3 to 4 hours to devote to it
    d) then do an image backup to my external hard drive (is that the same as Clint's "full system backup"??)
    e) when backed up, install the patch!
    f) post back here on success or any issues.

Have I got it? Thanks for all your helpful and patient replies and suggestions!

Linda
    Other Thread: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...845#post806845
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-06-21 at 19:25. Reason: Added URL for other thread.

Thanks
    Great plan Linda. Yes I believe Clint's suggestion is an Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For the time being, I feel if it is not broke - don't fix it!!

Thanks
    Linda, Since your other thread has been locked, I brought this info over to this thread.

Use this link, Win 7 SP1 Download, to find the desired download.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2011-06-26)