Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

style for following paragraph (all?)

Just noticed this: style for following paragraph doesn't always work. I can find nothing in the documentation that describes the following behaviour.

I have common stuff for my "Heading 1" style family, in particular I have "style for following paragraph" set to "Text1" for "Heading 1", set to "Text 2" for "Heading 2" and so on.

Tonight I noticed that after months of use, the style for following paragraph wasn't taking effect. I was in Heading 1 style, tapped the Enter key, and got another Heading 1 style.

It seems that in Outline View, that's what happens, but when I switch to Normal view, I get Text 1, as I'd expect.

I can't think of a good reason for wanting a Heading 1 style to be forced to follow a Heading 1 style, just because I'm in Outline View.

Thanks

Re: style for following paragraph (all?)

Before Microsoft added outlines to Word, there was a vigorous market for outline processors, and that's how they worked. Now, of course, they're all dead, and MS doesn't seem to care to make the Outline mode work any better. (Actually, there's a new outliner called NoteMap that just came out. Maybe this will give impetus to some improvements in Word 2004.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> there was a vigorous market for outline processors

Thanks J. You might have given me the answer. Your comment reminded me of MY tool of preference - PCOutline. DOS-based, of course (I said I preferred it, didn't I).

I used to build the structure of the document using PCOutline, just the heading levels, the skelton of the work, then export it to PCWrite where I would add the text.

I ought to be doing the same thing. I ought to be (using Word97 to be) building the outline of my report, then going back and fleshing it out. I wonder why my habits changed?

Certainly, when I'm keying in text in Outline mode I've made a conscious decision to be in outline mode. Switching to Outline mode to discover the structure of a previously-written document is another matter. If I'm working SOLELY in Heading styles during construction of the skeleton, it is impossible for Word to determine whether the following paragraph is to be at the same level or a different level, so forcing the level to be followed by the same level makes sense.

Hmmmmmmm.

Thanks

NoteMap can be found at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.casesoft.com> CaseSoft.com</A>. You can download a 30-day trial of the complete program. I went there looking for NoteMap and ended up buying their entire litigation package! Like it, too!
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

JustCallMeAl

I just did some playing with outline view. I think that your deduction is correct--they had to choose something to follow it.

I would suspect that this is because a person may actually work at creating the main ponts first, then splitting those main points into sub points, etc. So, MS choice of how that functions is logical.