Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Can I NOT install Windows 7 SP1?

Planned to download this patch, but ran into difficulties on the Microsoft download page trying to figure out which Download button to select for which SP1 item listed! I'd gone there to download the patch after reading Susan Bradley's Windows Secrets column which advised against using the Windows Update to do the download. Feeling totally confused (the selections on the MS page seemed far too technical to me!), I searched here and found an excellent thread on challenges with installing SP1, which has led me to question whether I need to worry about it at all - at least for a while. I don't want to get myself into a time-consuming process just now, if I can safely avoid doing so! All is working well on the PC right now.

Any advice much appreciated, as always!

Thanks,

Linda

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was in your exact situation last week. I also felt the same way: why bother with the hassle until I really have to, but after talking with a few people, I decided it was better to get it done.
    I found through research that for a 32-bit system you download: "windows6.1-KB976932em-X86.exe"
    I had some problems installing the service pack, but finally got it to install with help from the really great people in this lounge.
    To find out what your system is: Open up your Control Panel, click on "System and Security" - Then click "See the name of this computer" under "System" (You'll see info about your system including your system type (32 bit or 64 bit).

Thanks
    Use this link, Win 7 SP1 Download, to find the desired download.

SP1Download.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-06-21 at 18:41.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Philly Will - yes, I know about your issue! It was your thread that had me worried!! I couldn't believe the challenges you had and wanted to avoid them as long as possible. Sounds as if you think I should plunge ahead, but I'm still hesitant ...

Ted, you are amazing! I now see exactly what version to download (the 64 bit one in your screen shot), BUT I'm still nervous and hoping you tell me to put it off! Or are you agreeing with Philly Will and saying, "Go for it"?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I haven't yet installed SP1 on my desktop. Windows won't budge and install. I will postpone as much as I can, because I will have to repair install Windows before going with SP1 and I think it will give me heartache to fix a lot of stuff to get it as I need.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Thanks
    I say go for it, as soon as you have time to create a image. I would never say go for it until you have an image. Susan Bradley also advises to install Sp1 at this time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I'm so sorry! Yes, it is. I couldn't find my posted reply when I went to the thread PhillyWill had started today so I thought it had disappeared somehow and started this new one. What should I do now? I checked the other thread you linked to and it's got lots of great replies, too. Guess I really messed up. Can we scrap this one and migrate any posts over to the other one. I won't post here until I hear back? Mea culpa!!

PS I've replied on the other thread but am holding off here.

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2011-06-21 at 19:28. Reason: Added PS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    This is a duplicate of the thread linked in post #6. I'm locking this thread. Please post any further responses in the linked thread.

Joe