Lounger
    Thanks

WLM Attachment Security

I have recently switched from XP and OE to Win7 and WLM and have discovered an annoyance that I "fixed" a long time ago in OE but can't seem to toss out in WLM.

After saving an attachment, such as a JPG, on attempting to open it, I get a popup message asking if I really wanna do this, with a little checkbox for "Always ask before opening this file"

One search turned up a Registry hack for Outlook, which I tried without success.

Another search showed how to eliminate this in Outlook Express. I did find a corresponding setting in Windows Live Mail: Options | Safety Options | Security - Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus - but it was already unchecked. I checked it, hit Apply, then unchecked it and hit Apply again. I have tried re-starting WLM and also sending myself test emails, as I read one post that said another fix only worked on "future" emails, not ones already received.

No luck.

One last search result that seemed promising had to do with editing the Group Policy (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...this-file-quot) but I get an error message (Windows cannot find gpedit.msc) when attempting to do so. (I am running Home Premium.)

So, of course, I come here looking for help to get rid of yet another annoyance. (I don't have anything against Microsoft trying to protect us from ourselves, but we should at least have an easily findable option to disable said protection!)

Thanks!

Thanks
    Hi StickBoy,
    One last search result that seemed promising had to do with editing the Group Policy (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...this-file-quot) but I get an error message (Windows cannot find gpedit.msc) when attempting to do so. (I am running Home Premium.)
    This feature is not available in Win7 H Prem.
    You can change WLM security settings as in image.

Attachment 28382
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    In your image, you have the second checkbox checked. I have it unchecked. And I guess I should have mentioned that I did also change the buttons that you have outlined. I switched it to Internet zone, Apply and also restarted WLM, but no difference.

Thanks
    Hi StickBoy, my image is how I use WLM and have never had an attachment problem. I use my Live ID to log in, in WLM, but only have my Gmail account in use.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't login at all. I simply imported all my email accounts from OE to WLM. (I haven't gotten around to trying to connect my Hotmail account.)

It doesn't matter if I send the image file through my ISP or through my gmail account, either way, I get that security box.
    Image3.png

Here's the really bizarre part: If I save the file to my Desktop and try to open it, I get that message. However, if I double-click the attachment in the email, it opens it without the warning!

Since you never get that warning, I am beginning to wonder if it is WLM or something else?

I use Avast as my anti-virus, but I have the email scanner function turned off.
    The only other security I have always on is whatever Windows comes with, including the firewall. I don't use a third-party firewall and other malware-type scanners I don't have constantly running.
    Any ideas what is holding me up?

Thanks
    All I can think of is, it's because your not signed in to WLM. On my desktop I use a Hotmail.com ID, with Avira Antivir free. My Laptop has a Live .co.uk ID and Avast 6 with all components functioning. Both pc's only use the same Gmail account, with the 'Safety Options' as in my image above.

Thanks
    How are pictures sent ? as an attachment or as my image.

Attachment 28392

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still working on the new language of WLM. The pictures are attachments. Click the paper clip. Rather, as the test emails I have been sending myself, just dragging the image icon from the Desktop to the email message.
    On receipt, there is the row of thumbnails across the top of the message. Double-clicking the thumbnail launches it without issue. Right-click and Save As or Save All results in the "protected" file.
    I just saved an inline photo from an email and tried to open it and it opened without the security warning, so it seems only attached images have this issue.
    Also a bit of weirdness is your menu. I don't have that style of menu. Maybe this is an option that you have changed from the default, but I wonder if you are using "Windows Mail" and not "Windows Live Mail"? Or maybe you are using an earlier version of WLM from the one I am using (2011)?

Thanks
    Your correct, I'm using WLM 2010 as it is simpler to find things and has more features, I can also download Live Photo Gallery without it including Movie Maker, as I don't use it. In yours, their is an option on how pictures should be handled, but can't remember the wording.

Attachment 28404

This is how mine looks.
    Last edited by Roderunner; 2011-06-24 at 04:00. Reason: Image +