Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

PC Worlds take on Registry Cleaners / PC Optimizers

This PC world article should put an end to the Registry Cleaner use/don't use debates along with other PC optimizer programs.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Only one article of experience among the many thousands of people who claim good results from using these types of tools. While this article only confirms what many of have experienced all along, there will always be staunch advocates of using these products. There is some merit to the problem of bogus and orphaned registry entries having an effect on performance. I have even run into 1 or 2 cases where a registry cleaner actually did a lot of good. That being the case, the debate will never be done. However, I personally believe there is little need to run such utilities on a daily of weekly basis.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2011-06-22 at 14:24. Reason: Added some missing words! "orphaned registry entries"
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I've long wanted to see actual test results of system optimization programs. The problem with people who claim good results is that the claims are not backed up by test results. It is always the system feels faster.

That article has confirmed what I've long thought. I do agree with Doc Brown's comment about a registry cleaner doing good but only on a system where the system is definitely compromised not as a regular tool.

Thanks for the link.

Joe

Thanks
    I've ust taken a quick look and I feel the article's comparing apples with oranges and has produced a lemon. Just looking at the names of the tested programs should give some clue as to their main design purpose, one is to clean out dross, the other 3 names imply much more. Nowhere does the article state exactly which parts of each program were run.

If we are to blindly assume that it was only the Cleanup functions that were compared, notice that some have defraggers while others do not.

Just like each person is unique, each computer used for any length of time by that person becomes increasingly dissimilar to a default 'average' install. Only a user with enough experience of his/her own machine and a sound knowledge of the areas that need improvement can decide which, if any, of the utilities tested would be best suited to their needs and exactly which parts should be activated or deactivated.

I've used all 4 of them but only have one permanently installed as I found the others, even when modified, could be detrimental, sometimes requiring manual repairs afterwards. Even the one I do use is set so that less than the default feature-set is used, but I do select additional non-standard options and also check each section for any anomalies before committing the action.

I see no mention of the use of any Registry 'Cleaner' functions anywhere, maybe you folks ought to be a little more critical when reading articles ? This article's testing majors on boot time and an artificial benchmark app that seems to concentrate on MS Office.

As a quick closing comment on boot-time, I just replaced my graphics card with one from a rival maker and found a 10-12% decrease in time taken to reach a working Desktop, now sub 40 seconds (on my timing method) on an old 80GB 5,400RPM 2.5" running W7x64.

Thanks
    Sorry, I couldn't find an emote icon that says "Oh MY GOD! NOT AGAIN!"

Telling an experienced tech to never clean his registry is like telling a automotive engineer that junk in the trunk won't affect car performance or gas mileage. It does! Even if you don't have reliable technical data to support the premise, just plain old 'horse sense' should be enough.

If junk in a computer makes no difference in its performance then why did MS put "Disk Cleanup" in every version of Windows? Then Defrag is also useless, Right? I could go on and on, but the comparisons just get more and more rediculous.

Fact: Every little bit of load that you can remove from a car or PC will only positively effect its performance. How much? Well that depends on the amount of load. 1% here and .5% there, can eventually add up to a significant increase in performance. No one thing that you do to a PC, for instance, will make it run 100% faster.

Over the past 30 years, I've constantly been aware of system performance, as it relates to the load put on the HD and the CPU.
    I've proven over and over again, that if you lighten the workload put on the CPU, for instance, the PC will perform better. Again, if scientific data doesn't prove it, then just plain old common sense should.

I will continue to clean and re-compact my registry, using NTREGOPT on a regular maintenance schedule, to maintain my PC in the highest possible operating condition. However, as I'm sure has been mentioned, some registry cleaners can do more harm than good.
    CCleaner has destroyed my own PC twice, demanding that I do a Ghost Restore to get my computer back in running condition. So it will never come anywhere near my PC, ever again. However "Easy Cleaner II" and "AVG Tune UP" have both done a good job of junk removal and registry cleaning with NO negative effects at all.
    One feature of "AVG Tune UP" is to optimize the PC's internet connection. That works just GREAT!

As far as I'm concerned, "That settles it".

Last edited by DrWho; 2011-06-25 at 09:08.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    This PC world article should put an end to the Registry Cleaner use/don't use debates along with other PC optimizer programs.
    You linked to page 2, so I think people may miss page 1.

No real damage reported after this extensive test though.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2011-06-25 at 14:43.

Thanks
    I have to agree with Doc. I don't necessarily clean and optimize my registry to gain in performance, but to minimize the chance that unwanted junk causes some problem in the future. Plus these cleaners do clean other areas of the PC that can cause slow downs, such as temp files, etc. My feeling is that a slim and trim OS might might help and can't hurt.
    Last edited by Medico; 2011-06-26 at 15:27.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I still recomend the use of a registry repair/clean tool just after a major program(s) uninstall, and for a limited number of other situations.
    ...but not on a regular basis or willy nilly usage. Some degree of judgment should go into their usage.
    Routine registry cleaning/repair usage is pretty much defunct as far as any kind of speed tweak is concerned. Whatever performance gain as a result will very likely be unclockable.

I think that it's also been long established that all your 3rd party memory optimization programs are worthless too.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2011-06-26 at 15:32.

Thanks
    I always make a registry cleaning an integral part of a complete Tune-Up on every customer's PC.
    Right after I uninstall all the bogus software and thoroughly clean the hard drive. Then I want to
    get rid of any leftover reg entries, Broken links, etc.
    To realize the true benefit of a registry cleaning, it's important to re-compress the registry.
    There are a few programs that can actually do this, but I like "NTREGOPT" the best.
    It's quick, clean and efficient, nothing like my ex-wife.

After I UN-Installed Office 2007 from my own PC, I ran a registry cleaner followed by NTREGOPT to
    re-compress the registry, and decreased the size of my registry by 30 megabytes. Minus crud is cool!
    That's just 30 megs of junk that doesn't have to load into ram every time I boot my PC.

Cheers mates!
    Doc
    Last edited by DrWho; 2011-06-30 at 17:43.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I think that it's also been long established that all your 3rd party memory optimization programs are worthless too.
    Only established by those that don't fully understand or have actually done any long term testing on those that do work.

Here's one that'll work for many people, especially those that don't have a surplus of RAM.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone noticed that WS is advertising one of these junk programs? If they continue to advertise this type of stuff I will cancel my subscription. I feel that they should check before they advertise and I really get a lot of useful tips from Woody and the staff but I will not renew if they continue this. I am a technician and I frequently have people come in with this type of "cure". The providers of these programs know folks are not going to cause any problems for them when their junk does not work. Do your subscribers a favor and quit advertising this stuff.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gacomputerdepot@gmail.com View Post
    Has anyone noticed that WS is advertising one of these junk programs? If they continue to advertise this type of stuff I will cancel my subscription. I feel that they should check before they advertise and I really get a lot of useful tips from Woody and the staff but I will not renew if they continue this. I am a technician and I frequently have people come in with this type of "cure". The providers of these programs know folks are not going to cause any problems for them when their junk does not work. Do your subscribers a favor and quit advertising this stuff.
    It would be more effective to post this in the appropriate Windows Secrets Columns Forum, where the columnists and Newsletter Administration check for user feedback on the columns. Posting your concern here has no benefit because it will likely never be noticed by anyone directly associated with the Newsletter. The Lounge Forums Administration does not make decisions involving the Newsletter or its content.