iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Review: A screaming SSD hard drive

BEST HARDWARE

Review: A screaming SSD hard drive

By Brett Taylor

The OCZ RevoDrive X2 isn't your grandmother's hard drive or even your mother's. This high-performance storage uses a PCI Express slot with x4 bandwidth mode for extreme speeds in both write and read.

OCZ sent over a 240 GB model that can read at up to 740 MB per second, write up to 720 MBps, and perform up to 120,000 I/Os per second (IOps) astounding numbers, especially compared to mechanical drives.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/best-hardware/review:-a-screaming-ssd-hard-drive (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

A way to switch everything but OS to secondary drive?

I recently purchased Intel's 300 series SSD 80GB. I have a secondary iTB mechanical hard drive.

Is there a way to shift most programs and Windows components to the secondary drive without the system losing them? Also would this affect speed? I would like to conserve space on the SSD since the dollars per Gigabyte are rather large.

drc

Thanks
    Hi donrc, and welcome to the Lounge!

Running Windows and your installed programs from the SSD is the most optimal way to utilize your SSD drive. Windows starts and runs faster, as well as your programs. Most buyers of SSDs choose to move most of their data files to a second mechanical hard drive. You gain the greatest performance advantage by keeping your OS and programs on the SSD. Data files, photos, and videos take a lot of storage space, and your secondary mechanical disk is a great home for them.

This storage scenario also makes it easier and faster to maintain up to date system image backups of your SSD, and a separate backup of your data files. Check out the Security & Backups Forum for many threads discussing system image backups.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

I.M.O.G. (2011-06-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Sir! I appreciate the help.

drc

Thanks
    "Unfortunately, it costs a lot to be King -- the 240-GB model is available at retailers such as New egg for around $600. I'll have to win the lottery before I spend that kind of money on a hard drive."
    ----------
    Ha ha. I recall back around 1995 spending $650 or so for 1GB SCSI II drive! I might even still have the bill in my old files...

Thanks
    This will have a place in any future build for me. [smiles]
    Ensure that you have a board that will boot this thing, otherwise it'll be just another storage drive, albeit a very fast one.