iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Win7-to-XP Remote Desktop problems

LANGALIST PLUS

Win7-to-XP Remote Desktop problems

By Fred Langa

Getting Remote Desktop/Remote Assistance to work across Windows versions can be a challenge.

But as with so many computing obstacles, the solution is to address the variables methodically, step by step.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/win7-to-xp-remote-desktop-problems/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2011-06-22 at 15:30.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paragon has a product that will do this easily. I think it is in the Paragon Backup and Restore package and is called Paragon Migrate. It will update drivers and settings for you as I recall. Check it out. Paragon's products are very well implemented and easy to use. I clone and backup my hard drives with them.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-23 at 16:54. Reason: unnecessary quote of thread title

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred, I ran into a similar problem trying to get Printer Sharing to work. The Windows error message is obtuse.. Kept telling me the Print Spooler wasn't running.. but it was .. of course. Was at my wits end, then had a flash!
    If LMHosts &/or NetBIOS are turned OFF,.. Windows PC to PC, especially XP, cannot communicate across the internal or external network. Find them in the TCP/IP network config under the Advanced WINS tab. Turn both ON solved my problem. Worth a try..

..Keith

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, I have Windows 7 Home Premium, which does not have a "Remote Desktop" section in the "Remote" tab. The Windows FAQ you provide, however, states that ALL editions of Windows 7 include RDC, and that "You can use Remote Desktop to initiate a connection from any edition of Windows 7." So how does one initiate a connection using Home Premium (or Windows 7 Starter for that matter)?

Found this page: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-en...emium-edition/

Seems kinda sketchy in a 3rd party kinda way......
    Last edited by dnfoster; 2011-06-26 at 15:28.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Just press the start Orb and type mstsc. Click on mstsc.exe in the results.

Joe

Thanks
    Just tried the Image Resizer, and this utility makes great Desktop Wallpapers, as well as its intended function.
    -- Bob Primak --

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred recommends keeping passwords in Notepad and encrypting with 7-Zip. It's a pity that he didn't mention that one needs a degree in computer science to understand the help files.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Fred recommends keeping passwords in Notepad and encrypting with 7-Zip. It's a pity that he didn't mention that one needs a degree in computer science to understand the help files.
    Not to mention that all the bad guys know how to crack 7-Zip encryption security.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: Image resizer

I really like the way the program Image Resizer for Windows works but I don't believe the re-sized image quaility is as good as the original Microsoft Powertoy. It bothered me enough to look for something better. I ended up installing Light Image Resizer (formerly VSO). http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-s...esize-a-photo/ I found that the resulting image quality was much better. It has the same shell type interface which allows you to right click to resize. When I clicked on the above link it gave a free licence in return for "Liking" it on facebook. Otherwise I think it is nagware....

Cheers
    Al

Thanks
    re: Configuring remote control and Free Image Resizer PowerToy clone for Win7

Hi Folks,

I'd like to add my $0.02, if you please.

Configuring remote control between Windows OSes

In Vista Home Premium (x96, x64), you cannot activate this, it's blocked!

Free Image Resizer PowerToy clone for Win7

SmillaEnlarger works very well too! A very good tool and Open source: https://sourceforge.net/projects/imageenlarger/

By4now

Paul