Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

It's time to move up to Internet Explorer 9

TOP STORY

It's time to move up to Internet Explorer 9

By Susan Bradley

With the exception of Internet Explorer, updating to your browser's latest version is usually a given.

For Vista and Win7 users, upgrading to IE 9 requires a bit more consideration and planning than updating Firefox or Chrome — but the time has come.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/top-story/its-time-to-move-up-to-internet-explorer-9 (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey Capen For This Useful Post:

YouMike (2011-06-23)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used online banking since it was invented. But IE9 will not allow me to log on to my bank. IE8 was no problem. I have spent hours with bank internet techs, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc etc and gave up. I use Firefox for banking with no problems. My son cannot watch Netflix in IE9 because SilverLight refuses to install to IE9. He had no problem with IE8. Like me, he uses Firefox to watch netflix movies with no problems.

Ergo: IE9 has flaws.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I rarely print articles from Windows Secrets, but this one was so good and so full of important info that I have. Thank you Susan. I've been experimenting with IE9 for a couple of weeks and have come across the odd website that doesn't like it. One in particular gives a grey screen when any user tries to enter text in text boxes designed to be used for navigation to related pages. I take this to mean that web page designers have to be alert and check compatibility.

Thanks
    I have tried IE9 several times on my Win7 x64 desktop and each time, most recent last week, I have reverted to IE8 because 9 regularly stops working and goes through the process of checking, reporting and re-starting, which is an awful pain in the butt and time-waster. I don't have a clue why this is happening and don't much care, as long as IE8 does the job. Correction, I do care as in all the years I have been working with computers I have accepted the necessity of keeping one's software up to date, but equally life is too short to have to do so much housekeeping and investigation. Do you remember the old days of motoring, when you spent more time under the car, or the bonnet (hood?), than in it? Computing is like that and has a long way to go to catch up on the motor industry. (Head up, Bill Gates). I know I should check the levels and tyre pressures regularly - and do - but seldom find anything needing attention. With my computers there is a new problem every day.

Added 2011-06-30. Persuaded by Susan's article and continual nagging by Microsoft I thought I'd give IE9 another chance and reinstalled. A week later and I have again uninstalled because IE9 keeps stopping. I know not what is wrong, but it is certainly not a viable proposition for me yet.
    Last edited by acbeaton; 2011-06-30 at 11:42. Reason: Additional information.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acbeaton View Post
    I have tried IE9 several times on my Win7 x64 desktop and each time, most recent last week, I have reverted to IE8 because 9 regularly stops working.... [snip] .
    That was my problem and my sons problem. I do not pretend to be any kind of computer guru, but I trust the IE people at my bank. When I mentioned using IE9, they said, "Ah, well, yeah, that might be the problem." They had be dig into the registry and delete all kinds of strings, install more bank security stuff, but I could never log onto my bank account. With Firefox, it takes 10 seconds.

Same with my son. He must have installed MS Silverlight 10 times but it never worked in IE9. Firefox: bang, done the first time.

Oh, and one other. I love radio on the comuter, and IE8 never burped once. With IE9, it cannot seem to spool or buffer or whatever it's called, and it will play for five minutes, then go dead for two minutes. Then come back on.

I now use Firefox and can listen to radion news all day long without a single glitch.

Thanks
    Are you using IE9 32 Bit or IE9 64Bit? If you upgraded to the 64 Bit version it actually installs both the 64 Bit version and the 32 Bit version of IE. The 64 Bit version does have problems. Many add ons (including Silverlight and Adobe) do not have a 64 Bit version yet. Under the Gear icon select About Internet Explorer to check which version you are using.

You can find both versions listed under Start Orb, All Programs. Create a shortcut to the 32 Bit version where you normally have you IE shortcut and delete the 64 Bit version shortcut.

My banking site works very well with IE9 32 Bit. So does my credit card sites, Paypal site, mortgage site, etc. Have not found a site that does not work with the 32 Bit version.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

I.M.O.G. (2011-06-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Susan, I do not think that IE 9 is ready yet. I have a 64bit laptop. I now know that a purchase of a 32 bit laptop would have been the better choice. I have used IE since it was a pup. The latest upgrade to IE 9 still has many problems for me. I tried to use it when it was in beta, to run on my 64 bit machine, no fun. After your new letter post, I tried again. The beta was gone, but now when I try to run IE 9 as my default, there is a note on the options page that tells me that the 64 bit IE 9 version will not be my default.
    So I put IE 9 back on the shelf, went back to Chrome and FireFox. They seem to work pretty well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonReves View Post
    Susan, I do not think that IE 9 is ready yet. I have a 64bit laptop. I now know that a purchase of a 32 bit laptop would have been the better choice. I have used IE since it was a pup. The latest upgrade to IE 9 still has many problems for me. I tried to use it when it was in beta, to run on my 64 bit machine, no fun. After your new letter post, I tried again. The beta was gone, but now when I try to run IE 9 as my default, there is a note on the options page that tells me that the 64 bit IE 9 version will not be my default.
    So I put IE 9 back on the shelf, went back to Chrome and FireFox. They seem to work pretty well.
    See my above post!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks

The online Banking issue is not just with IE9, it also is a problem with Firefox 4 and Safari 5. In some cases it is in concert with Adobe Flash Player 10.3. It is such an issue for so many of my e-zine subscribers that I created a how-to video on how to shut off graphic acceleration in IE9. Unfortuantely, because it is generally unnecessary to number crunching. Most financial institutions are still running Windows XP or, older version of Windows.

For those having this issue or similar, let your bank's branch manager know that even if their customers using Windows Vista or, Windows 7 continued to use IE8, there will not be a choice to opt out of updating to IE9 in fairly short order. And rightly so ... IE8 has more vulnerabilities than Microsoft wants to patch. IE9 is faster, easier, and just better than IE 8. For Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, updating to IE9 is the best choice for security reasons.

It's easy to blame Microsoft when such issues as these arise. But these issues are mandated industry changes caused by cell phone users and computer users who want to marry the two machines and operate their daily lives in "THE CLOUD". Keep in mind, all these instruments of progress are going to require the fundamental basics to change with the times. Some of those changes will be good, but many will be rubbish (at least until they are sorted out and fixed). And not only the technologies will be required to change, but how people use an interact with those technologies will have to change as well. It's going to be the same sort of impact, not unlike the first effects of commercial aviation in the 1930's. You wouldn't think a simple browser issue would have that effect, now would you?

Quote Originally Posted by robertpri View Post
    I've used online banking since it was invented. But IE9 will not allow me to log on to my bank. IE8 was no problem. I have spent hours with bank internet techs, uninstalled, reinstalled, etc etc and gave up. I use Firefox for banking with no problems. My son cannot watch Netflix in IE9 because SilverLight refuses to install to IE9. He had no problem with IE8. Like me, he uses Firefox to watch netflix movies with no problems.

Ergo: IE9 has flaws.
    Last edited by pohsibkcir; 2011-06-23 at 07:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After I installed IE9 32 Bit, W7, sidebar.exe developed a memory leak. Initially some gadgets stopped responding after the laptop was on for 8+ hours. At that point, sidebar.exe would be consuming more than 1gb of memory. One could watch the memory being consumed in task manager. A first I disabled various gadgets one at a time trying to find one causing the leak but nothing changed.

An internet search pointed me to IE9. I uninstalled IE9 and went back to IE8, sidebar.exe memory leak fixed.

Thanks
    First of all, I would like to welcome any and all first time posters to the Lounge!

As Ted said, the 64 bit version of IE9 is much more problematic than the 32 bit version. I have installed IE9 on at least 6 Windows 7 and Vista machines in the past four weeks using the IE9 Standalone offline download rather than through Windows Update. When you go to the linked page, click the 'More Languages' tag beneath the drop down selector in the fast is now beautiful graphic, find your language, select the Windows version you have installed (for example, if you have a Windows 7 64 bit edition installed, select Windows 7 64 bit and click Download. This installs both the 32 bit and 64 bit IE9, so you have to be careful which version your run as Ted noted. If you just select your OS in the fast is now beautiful drop down list, you will be downloading the installer package for IE9, which is much smaller but is used to go to the MS server to download the rest of the installation files for the IE9 install. I had fewer problems with the standalone offline install than with the installer package download.

Once you download the standalone offline package, drop offline to run the executable. If any software is running that can negatively affect the installation, a dialog box will open to inform you of the programs the installer will now close. Allow it to do so. I have seen the installation process hang after a few moments, which required a cancel and another double click of the executable file to restart the installation, but had fewer instances of that by killing my internet connection before installing. If you leave your Internet connection active, the installer appears to go to MS in an attempt download the installation files, when you already have those on your hard drive. That is why it is called an 'offline' package. You do not need an Internet connection in order to install it.

The only issue I have seen thus far after installing IE9 is that one Windows 7 laptop displayed flaky video when using Adobe Flash on a web page. A quick download and install of the latest graphic driver cured that problem. There have been no other negative issues reported on any of the other PCs, and none on my machines. However, IE 9 icons have been confirmed on the Taskbar to start up the IE9 32 bit version, which is what the installer should default to. In any case, Ted has already advised as to how to confirm which version you are currently running.

I do not know how many users have experienced the same issues I have encountered, and certainly, installing IE9 on nine machines (which includes my PCs as well), is not a huge install base to claim all these as universal issues, but I hope this helps someone experience a problem free installation.

For those who are using the 32 bit IE9 having issues on certain sites such as banking, etc., have you tried running IE9 in compatibility mode on such sites?

There will likely be some issues on some machines, but there will be fixes for bugs coming down the pike as bugs are exposed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was recently offered the opportunity to install the important IE 9 update and had the unfortunate discovery that it did not play well with My Linksys WRT54GS.

I could not access all of my router pages, and most that I could were not formed correctly. I tried compatability view with the routers web pages and found it would report that the "website" was no longer accessable (Vista 32 bit system). I jumped on my trusty XP machine and instantly connected to the routers IP with no issues. After updating the firmware, I tried to access again on my Vista/IE9 system. I had the same issues as before, but now I knew it was not the router.

Since I had no problems accessing the router with IE8, I decided to uninstall IE9.
    I went to the recently installed updates to Uninstall, and there was no entry for IE9. Using the how to article on the MS website provided no anser to uninstalling without the entry in said folder. After contacting MS Support, and letting MS support plow through the machine for an hour or so, the recommendation was to rollback to the checkpoint before the update... seemed like a bit of a sledgehammer approach, but it worked.

It was a nice browser except for the fact I could not access my router. But, I won't be purchasing a new router to use it on only one machine, and unless anyone has had better results with different Cisco/Linksys routers, that may be a warning you would like to add to your recommendations.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a disconnect here. While I understand the premise that we all benefit from moving forward, 60% of the world is still using XP. There may be a reason for the reticence to march lockstep like lemmings off the Microsoft cliff of poor code. Contrary to the hype, Vista was a disaster and no amount of Redmond sycophancy will put lipstick on that pig. Most of us won't forget that fact anytime soon and now are seriously skeptical of alleged "progress". Vista with bug fixes = Windows 7. IE: essentially eye candy with redesigned basic functions claiming better security when in fact Windows remains a sieve for any bored script kiddie.

Similarly, Internet Explorer has been in decline for years. Microsoft has repeatably attempted to impose their "standards" on the browser world. Both Firefox and now Chrome have surpassed Explorer yet Microsoft insists users must install and run their buggy code. As is seen by multiple posts, Explorer 9 fails in many rudimentary tasks. Rather than calling Microsoft out on these flaws, you encourage users to drink the Kool Aid. Really, how many decades does it require for people to learn Microsoft rarely gets it right the first time and sometimes never succeeds; instead simply abandoning the failed project and users who were dumb enough to swallow the Redmond line?

Explorer 9 exhibits all the worst traits of Vista and anyone who refuses to admit or report it is doing a disservice to computers users world wide.
    Last edited by bobhedin; 2011-06-23 at 08:17.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) with legal case management software (PCLaw). My software is a few versions behind, in need of an upgrade, but given how little I use it, it is not worth the investment at this time. My version of PCLaw does not work with IE9. It does work with IE8. Given that I use IE only when I have to, I do not see the need to upgrade to IE9. I would like to have more legal business to justify the upgrade of PCLaw, then I would not have such issues. (By the way, it took me a while to figure out that IE9 was the culprit when I had issues with PCLaw. I read posts about other software conflicts, leading me to my solution to unistall IE9.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The heck with "the cloud." Keep MY stuff on someobody's servers "somewhere"? Forget it. "The cloud" - a PR person's dream name - sounds so fluffy and picturesque. No "demand" here!

If MS wants to be Apple so badly with all the copycat moves they've made in recent years, why don't they just sell themselves.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast