Lounger
    Thanks

OpenOffice Update

I recently started using OOo in place of MS Office. While it's compatible with Office there's still a steep learning curve.

One issue I have relates to the little green icon at the top right of the screen which tells me “Download of update completed. Click here to start the installation.” A 21.5 KB file has appeared on my Desktop. I presume this is a small update waiting to be installed. Clicking on the green icon opens a “Check for Updates: dialogue box with the option to “Install”. The “Download” button is grayed out. It says “Download of OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 completed. Ready for installation.” In the Description panel it says “openoffice has been downloaded to C:\Users|Mike\Desktop” (presumably the file on my Desktop.)

Double-clicking on the 21.5 KB file opens a Windows (Win 7 64 bit) “Open with” dialogue box asking me which programme to use to open the file. I've no idea which one to use. None of them seem to be the right one as they're applications rather than some sort of installer.

I notice that Secunia, which I use to keep my system and programmes up to date, shows OOo to be up to date (v3.3.0).

I'd appreciate your help on this. I'm totally confused!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On the dialog box, is there an Install button? If so, have you tried clicking that button? I suspect that there is not a specific type for the file and the installer (within OOo) needs access it directly.

On my OOo I saw the green down arrow that you mentioned, but it was for plugin updates and clicking on the arrow, and then clicking the Install button on the Update dialog.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Clicking on the green arrow icon opens a box "Check for Updates". Under "Status" it says "OpenOffice.ord 3.3.0 is available. The installed version is OpenOffice.org 3.3.0."
    Under "Description" it says "The download location is....etc" It then gives the option to Download. The Install button is grayed out. Clicking on "Download" tells me that a file of that name already exists and do I want to overwrite it. If I say yes the "Check for Updates" box under "Status" says "Download of OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 completed. Ready for installation." The "Install" button is now available. Clicking it opens a box that offers to install the update. Saying Yes opens a box asking which program to use to open the file. This, of course, is the problem I started with... which program?
    There are only 2 possibilities... OpenOffice.org which then opens a file of stuff that means absolutely nothing to me. The other option is the original downloader (SoftonicDownloader). Clicking this starts the download process from the beginning.
    Could it be that this is the only means of updating the programme? The thing that puzzles me is that Secunia doesn't warn me that the programme is in need of patching. Perhaps I should just ignore the green arrow icon?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That does sound strange. Let's attack this from a different angle. Open Writer and look at Help | About. If the version number is 3.3.0, then ignore the arrow. If it is an earlier version, go to the OOo web site and download the latest and install it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your response. Yes, Writer Help/About shows version 3.3.0 which is the same as the one offered by the green arrow so this certainly suggests that the programme is up to date as Secunia seems to say. The programme seems to work OK so perhaps I'll just ignore the green arrow message. It's just a minor irritation when it appears. I guess it's just one of those vagaries of computers (no wonder I'm so short of hair!) Thanks anyway.