Lounger
    Thanks

Backup updates and patches

Is it possible to backup all the patches and updates in Win XP Pro SP3 ad if so can you tell me how. I am going to try a repair or reinsallation to fix a missing or corrupt Windows Installer service have tried all suggestions to fix and the last one recommends a repair.

Thanks
    Hi wesran,

If your XP installation CD is SP1 or SP2, then you can download the SP3 installation file and slipstream SP3 to your XP installation CD. Here is a WinSupersite tutorial that steps you through the process. As an alternative, here is BleepingComputer.com's tutorial on slipstreaming SP3.

Malwarebytes.com has a tutorial on doing an XP repair install. This is supposed to keep your user files and programs intact, but you should always backup your data before performing any kind of installation repair.

Here is a Windows Secrets Lounge XP thread you might want to take a look at as well.

Before doing a repair install of XP, check out this eHow To article on repairing Windows Installer. And here is yet another tutorial on how to repair Windows Installer.

Finally, here is the MS link to download Windows Installer 4.5 that is also for XP SP3.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-23 at 12:34. Reason: fix link

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have already tried the repair route mentioned and had read the WS thread so will check out the tutorials on the repair, thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks

no answer needed now

I have decided to do a clean install of OS so question here is a mote point now. Thanks.