New Lounger
    Thanks

SVCHOST.EXE CPU Usage

Hi there,

I have a 2007 Sony notebook running Vista Business with all updates. After bootup, after about 2 minutes, the hard drive is accessed continuously for 30 to 45 minutes. I have "What is my computer Doing" installed, and it shows SVCHOST.exe is continously accessing the HD. I've turned off indexing. I searched for a solution, but the only thing I found applies to XP. I don't want to install it and cause further problems.

I tried locating WUAUENG.DLL but can't find it in Widows/system32/ or anywhere else on my hard drive.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    OCbob

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi OCBob,

What capacity hard disk to you have in your Sony, and how much disk space is currently free?

Try finding all software that starts up when Vista starts. Check out Whats in startup, and Autoruns for Windows. Both list everything that is running on your computer. Autoruns can be overbearing in the data it reports, so you would want to focus on the Logon tab.

Almost every software package will attempt to run a 'helper' application on startup. Most of these are totally unnecessary and gobble up resources. A number of things run after Vista startup. Security software will update; if Windows Disk Defragmenter is scheduled to start each day, when you boot up, it will begin to defrag as soon as it senses your PC at idle. But it stops when the user begins to interact with the PC. And it runs again at the next idle moment. By default, Disk Defragmenter is scheduled to run at 1:00 AM Wednesdays, but if your PC is powered down, it will kick in on the next startup. It would not hurt to look at Task Scheduler to see what if anything else is set up to run automatically.

Also, to assist in nailing down which services are running within the specific SVCHOST.exe that is continuously accessing your HD, download Process Explorer as well. Process Explorer provides info similar to Windows Task Manager, but it offers a great more detail. If you hover your mouse over each running Svchost.exe, a list of all running .dll's will be shown. Perhaps from there you can tell what is churning so much on your hard disk.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked Task Scheduler, and I find Google is running several programs, all about updating. To see what is causing my problems, I've disabled "Google" updaters to see what happens. Meanwhile, to answer your other question, the HD is only 75GB, and I have about 60GB used. It's a 1.8" HD, so I can't get anything larger. I'm thinking of getting a newer machine, but I really hate to have to learn Windows 7. I started with DOS in 1982, and I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OCBob View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a newer machine, but I really hate to have to learn Windows 7. I started with DOS in 1982, and I'm getting too old for this stuff.
    Thanks for your help.
    I think you will find 7 easy to learn, if you are using Vista. The transition from XP to Vista required quite a lot more learning.

Thanks
    Hi OCBob,

As ruirib related, there is a short distance between Vista and Windows 7. While I have never had any problems with Vista (acquired on a laptop after SP1 was released), I find Windows 7 superior in many ways.

I feel your pain though, Bob. I also started with DOS in 1982, then installed Windows 3.0 on my 40 MB hard disk when it arrived, and found it so distasteful, I went back to DOS until Windows 3.1 hit the scene. Then it was bye bye DOS, hello Windows.

Disabling the Google updating should help to some degree. But you will need to manually run update checks on your Google software periodically so you do not miss any important updates, especially in security.

Your hard drive is almost maxed out. Windows needs 15% (11.25 GB disk space in your case) free disk space to carry out housekeeping chores, and less than that makes it improbable the Disk Defragmenter can finish its work. There are some things you can do to free up some space. You can check System to see how much disk space your page file is taking. Generally 1.5x the memory you have is sufficient space. You can also check the current maximum space for which the recycle bin is set, and can change the value. See this short MS tutorial titled Change the Recycle Bin settings. You can also consider changing the maximum disk space used by System Restore by following this tutorial from How To Geek. Here is a great little video by pcwizkids that shows you more tips for recovering disk space. Some of the instructions are specific to XP, but some include Vista as well. In the video segment about changing the System Restore space, the XP method is reviewed, which changed in Vista, and by the way, in Windows 7, the XP method was put back in, at least in regard to using a handy slider for sizing.

Last but not least, uninstalling any software you no longer use is a good way to reclaim some disk space. Also, if you have a lot of photos, videos, and music, the purchase of an external USB hard disk can allow you to move a great deal of those off your laptop disk.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks
    You also may want to explore the possibility of installing a larger HD. Also how much RAM do you have? If you are familiar with VISTA the change to Win 7 will almost seem anticlimatic. They are very similar in UI.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy