Thread: Win 7 SP1

New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 SP1

I installed sp1 and boxes were put on my Desktop Icons. I would like to get rid of the b[FONT=Arial][/FONT]oxes

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/cabob512/ You can view the boxes at imageshack

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It appears that the shortcut arrow is missing. See if Shortcut arrow utility helps.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Boxes on Win 7 desktop

I guess I have 2 choices. Either forget the problem as unrepairable or reinstall windows. It would take me a week to put every thing back to where it was.

I will live with the problem

Thanks for your help

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cabob512 View Post
    I guess I have 2 choices. Either forget the problem as unrepairable or reinstall windows. It would take me a week to put every thing back to where it was.

Thanks for your help
    You can try a windows repair install: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cabob512 View Post

Thanks for your help
    Did you try the Utility program?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You think you have problems because of SP1? Well, I allowed it to be installed and it totally screwed up my system! No internet, took forever to load any program and some of them simply would not load at all. The computer would just sit there and grind away on nothing. I did a system restore and got rid of the damn thing. and, I set my update manager to no longer automatically install them. A lesson learned, and maybe a warning for some of you. I will not install SP1!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor44 View Post
    1 A lesson learned, and maybe a warning for some of you. I will not install SP1!
    Since your posting may discourage others from installing SP1, I just want to say that after months of holding off, I finally installed SP 1 on my Win7 64-bit computer yesterday, and the installation went well (knock on wood, salt over my shoulder). I was careful to first install all updates that Windows had deemed important (including the .NET updates that I had held off on until yesterday). I also shut down my anti-virus program, and also Malwarebytes and even WinPatrol Plus. I then set a restore point and had Windows Updates install SP1 as the sole update. To my surprise, all went smoothly.

Please understand that I'm in no way making light of your experience, sailor44. Not at all! LOTS of people have had problems installing SP1, which is why I held off doing so for several months. I'm posting this message simply to say that it IS possible to install SP1 successfully. Whether I'll push my luck by trying to install it on my netbook running Win7 Starter, I'm not sure!

Thanks
    For those that are having or have had issues with Service Pack installations should do an off line install the next time they
    perform a clean install. For best results this should be done prior to any 3rd party software application installations.

You've got software on your computer that isn't playing nice with the Service Pack, and the more you have installed the greater the chances of this sort of issue.