New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 error message

I frequently get the message below when trying to open an email in Outlook 2010. Usually it occurs when I leave Outlook (but do not close it) and work on something else then return to Outlook.
    The message is:
    Cannot open your default e-mail folders. The file C:\users\Dottie\AppData\local\Microsoft\Outlook\Ou tlook.pst is in use and canot be accessed. Close any application that is using this file, and then try again. You might need to restart your computer"

Sometimes I can close Outlook, go to the Start menu and re-open it from there and everything works, but most of the time I do have to restart my computer.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Do you minimize Outlook?

Does the program you work in make any difference?

Sure reads as though Outlook has been closed. Are you sure you aren't closing Outlook?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 error messages

i am sure that I do not close outlook. I minimize it, then when I click on the minimized icon on the task bar I get the message. It seems to do this when I stop to work in WORD or even play a game of solatair. I am not sure about which other programs I have been using when this occurs.

I also get another error message on occasion when I try to delete an email I have already read or try to flag it for a reminder that reads:

File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\Users\Dottie\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Ou tlook.pst.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Are you using any automatic backup software?

Is your PST file stored locally (i.e. not on a network)?

You could also try to run the scanpst tool to check your PST file for errors. Be sure to close Outlook before running scanpst. For a 32-bit version of Windows 7 or for a 64-bit version of Office running on 64-bit Windows 7 the default location for scanpst.exe is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14. For the 32-bit version of Office 2010 running on 64-bit Windows 7 the default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14 folder.

In Outlook go to File | Help, then in the right pane see the About Outlook section to tell if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Office.
    To find out if you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, right click "Computer" and select Properties. See the "System Type".

NOTE: Microsoft recommends that unless you have a specific reason, such as a very, very large spreadsheet, you should run the 32-bit version of Office 2010. Most Office addins have not yet been upgraded to 64-bit.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I apologize for missing your 6/24 responce to my problem until now. I just updated OFFICE 2010 SP1 successfully this morning and hope that will take care of my irritating problem. If not I will certainly try your scanpst.exe suggestion. Yes, I knew that I had 32 bit.

Thank you for your help.
    Dottie