Star Lounger
    Thanks

Failed SP1 & Explorer 9 Updates

I've been wrestling with both of these updates for a couple months. I have the 64 bit version of WIN 7 Home Premium, an MSI 785GM-E65 board, an AMD X4 945 Phenom II processor, and 4 gig of Kingston DDR3 memory. I have Norton 360 for system protection, but both the firewall and antivirus products were disabled while attempting to upgrade. The upgrade readiness tool has been installed. I have attempted to upgrade through the upgrade adviser, and I have attempted the upgrade after downloading the file to the administrator's desktop. I have tried it with the startup items disabled in msconfig, and I have tried it in safe mode. I have also been on line; apparently others have experienced the same situation. For the SP1 update I make it through about a half hour then get a failure message, the detail being:

ERROR: E_FAIL(0x80004005)

I have followed the advice on Microsoft's website that included deleting update history and some other associated items. I also deleted a registry entry that had something to do with USB drivers being limited to 8.

The explorer 9 update seems to install successfully, but then following the reboot I get a failure configuring message at about 97% and then a further message that says reverting changes. The system then reboots normally. If I look at the update history, it says that explorer 9 was a successful update, but it's version 8 that loads.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Casey

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    A seach, windows 7 sp1 install error 0x80004005, produces many threads all of which indicate that this error is tricky to resolve. Have you looked at the CBS.log file? Have you seen Service Pack 1 install fails?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The CBS log was big. The CBS folder contained a number of related files labeled persist, followed by several characters, followed by .cab or .log. Here's an excerpt from the log that includes the 80004005 reference. There were many "hits" on the word FAIL. I'm surprised the machine works at all. Yet all other updates have installed flawlessly, and the computer seems to work fine otherwise.

SQM: Failed to start upload with file pattern: C:\Windows\servicing\sqm\*_std.sqm, flags: 0x2 [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]
    2011-06-23 17:07:02, Info CBS SQM: Failed to start standard sample upload. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]
    2011-06-23 17:07:02, Info CBS SQM: Queued 0 file(s) for upload with pattern: C:\Windows\servicing\sqm\*_all.sqm, flags: 0x6
    2011-06-23 17:07:02, Info CBS SQM: Warning: Failed to upload all unsent reports. [HRESULT = 0x80004005 - E_FAIL]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I've seen other threads that say those errors indicate a corrupted Windows Update setup. See Unable to install updates for several troubleshooting steps.

You might also consider running Repair Windows Update Utility.

Joe