New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows "hanging" and not updating

I have four computers using my home network. All are reasonably new and are running Windows 7, 64-bit with loads of memory and hard drive. They have all been protected with F-Secure and/or MSE and they always have the latest software and windows updates.
    Several weeks ago, one of the computers began a pattern where certain programs would not close properly. For example, the browser would begin to close and then hang with the window open - shortly the window will shade over and attempts to close gives rise to a "not responding" box asking if I would like to continue or wait. It doesn't matter, as any further attempts, even using task manager results in the box re-appearing. The program or browser will not be usable again. Media Player is similarly affected - the video will run normally but attempts to close meets with a "not responding" and the Player will not run anything more. Everything is cleared on reboot but only then.
    I attempted to restore the system to an earlier time but System Restore only had restore points for one day. I naturally suspected malware despite the protection and the fact that the computers never are used to access suspicious sites or downloads so I ran full scans - also used MalwareBytes. Everything came up clean. Then updates began to hang - including windows update - either the update would say it was in process, but nothing ever happened, or a windows error box would appear.
    I finally formatted that computer back to factory basics and everything seemed good. However, now the pattern has re-appeared on two of the other computers - most software is unaffected but Firefox, Media Player, I-tunes and Paint will not close and some updates will not download or install. On one computer, Firefox hangs but Explorer works fine. On the other, every browser, including Chrome, has the problem. The fourth computer on the network seems unaffected so far. Now the re-formatted computer occasionally hangs as well - again. I thought it might be something with my network but today a colleague called to say that the two computers on his home network are experiencing the exact same problems. They are also both new with the same system and resources. He described the exact problem, not knowing that I was experiencing it as well.
    I have talked to several techies and have found no help at all - not even suggestions, short of reformatting everything - which I don't even want to thing about!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sendek View Post
    I finally formatted that computer back to factory basics and everything seemed good. However, now the pattern has re-appeared on two of the other computers - They are also both new with the same system and resources. He described the exact problem, not knowing that I was experiencing it as well.
    sendek,
    Hello... and Welcome to the lounge. Your not alone in with this.. I just want to ask one question ..Do you have "Nvidia" graphics drivers? As i have had the same problems with "7" and have mitigated them to some extent by adjusting my "3D" settings ... My Vista OS remains unaffected. There are many here that will be willing to try and help you in this matter ...Lets get started ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply, Fred. I'm running an ATI Radeon on this computer so I don't think there's a graphics problem involved.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    After you went back to factory basics, can you pinpoint after which program was installed that the issue started?

Are all your drivers up-to-date?

Is your BIOS up-to-date?

Does this happen after the systems hibernate or sleep?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's the thing, Joe, it doesn't seem dependent on any program. I'm pretty good at keeping everything up-to-date and I haven't installed anything on the computer that I formatted - just Office and the anti-virus. My main computer, which I'm typing ths out on, was fine one evening and the next time I ran it, the problem appeared when I tried to close Firefox 5.0. Firefox seems to hang randomly on this computer but Media Player always does. On my daughter's computer, which is having a problem with all browsers, the problem is acute and I may re-format. None of this happens on sleep - it's only on closing of programs and on updating Windows or some other programs.

Thanks
    Hi sendek, when installing anything, I always right click > properties, unblock if needed, rc again to run as administrator.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I would try to isolate your daughters PC from the rest, then do a clean install of the OS. Somehow something appears to be affecting the PC's and the likely suspect is across the network. Do you have the router firewall enabled? Do you use a software firewall on all PC's? if your daughters PC seems the most acute, this is the likely source. I would choose software firewalls that allow you to segregate PC's from each other yet still allow each PC to connect to the web. I use Online Armour++ and this does allow isolating one PC from the other. This might be less user friendly in not allowing PC's to share with each other, but in the short term may make it easier to solve your problem. It sure sounds like some sort of nasty infecting things.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Often hangs occur because of network problems with Windows waiting for a repsonse from a network resource. On one of the offending machines you might try running the free utility Process Explorer to see if you can identify an unusual process or one that is consuming the CPU. You can start the utility immediately after a boot and just minimize it.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Some good ideas, friends. I'm going to start with re-formatting my daughter's computer as she has saved everything she needs and I'll give that Process Explorer a try as well. We haven't shared anything across the network but, I agree, it seems to be something shared. How my friend's computers are affected is a complete mystery.