Lounger
    Thanks

Another Strange File

Talking about strange files I have a strange folder: SecuROM. While I now know that Sony had -- surreptitiously -- placed it on my HDD, I can't imagine how, for never have I downloaded, copied or even played any silly, time-wasting game on any computer I have owned in 15 years. (This is an anti-piracy measure by rotten old Sony).

After scanning the four files (two in normal alphanumeric, two in what look to me like Cyrrilic, all of them long strings), I opened the first two mentioned only to find myself being told not to delete them! From my own computer! Cheeky sods. Those two files then disappeared, leaving the other two. I go to open one of those and Win 7 tells me they have gone elsewhere, somewhere, on my m/c. A search does not find them, but the folder and its two mysterious file names remain, unmoveable, in the folder tree. Anyone know how I can shift them? I have e-mailed Sony, but I ain't holding my breath waiting for a reply.

Happy days.

Dic

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dic View Post
    Talking about strange files I have a strange folder: SecuROM. Anyone know how I can shift them? I have e-mailed Sony, but I ain't holding my breath waiting for a reply.
    Dic,
    Hello... In doing a brief web search there are many "sites" to explore SecuROM...you could try this one to start tomshardware this might be of some help Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2011-06-24 at 05:31.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Dic,
    Hello... In doing a brief web search there are many "sites" to explore SecuROM...you could try this one to start tomshardware this might be of some help Regards Fred
    G'day, Fred.

Thanks for your suggestion. I too found a heap of hits for SecuROM, through Google, but none did the trick. I checked with tomshardware too, but the suggestion there deals with unloading the damn thing after having uninstalled something called BioShock Demo, or something like that. But as I wrote in my post, I have never downloaded any stuff like music, videos, etc, not even demos, and I had never even heard of Bioshock before I read about it on Tom's Hardware.

I think it's time I reinstalled Win7 on that m/c anyway, and since the HDD is six years old, I shall take this opportunity and replace it, tomorrow, with a lovely fresh installation for me to start mucking up immediately.

Thanks for your interest, Fred. See you some more.

Dic

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked with tomshardware too, but the suggestion there deals with unloading the damn thing after having uninstalled something called BioShock Demo, or something like that. But as I wrote in my post, I have never downloaded any stuff like music, videos, etc, not even demos, and I had never even heard of Bioshock before I read about it on Tom's Hardware.

Dic,
    Hello...My thought is somewhere along the line ...you (or someone else) must have inadvertently "stumbled" across "securom"..so if you follow the procedure given it will remove it. For me a Fresh install would be "Unthinkable" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Dic,
    Hello...My thought is somewhere along the line ...you (or someone else) must have inadvertently "stumbled" across "securom"..so if you follow the procedure given it will remove it. For me a Fresh install would be "Unthinkable" Regards Fred
    Good morning, Fred.

No-one else goes near my computers. We are only my wife and me, and Sally has her own PC and laptop (aged 70, she is expert with Photoshop and Painter). The only way SecuROM could have imposed itself on me is by its coming in on the back of the (occasional, innocent) download I do. Since I use my time — up to nine hours a day, seven days a week — writing, I have none to spare for that games junk, shouldn't even if I had time to spare.

As for reinstalls, since I don't cram an excessive number of programmes and other stuff onto my machines, they are not as complicated for me as they might be for some. In any case, masochist that I am, I enjoy them .

Regards.

Dic

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    As for reinstalls, since I don't cram an excessive number of programmes and other stuff onto my machines, they are not as complicated for me as they might be for some. In any case, masochist that I am, I enjoy them .
    Dic,
    Hello... My thought is being that your going to do the "Re-install" You might as well give the removal procedure a "whirl" as you have nothing to loose, and quite possibly learn a little bit about removing things.... The other is someone must have clicked on "something" to down load and install the "SONY" thing. Best Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    A true masochist would reinstall windows once a month, just for the shear joy of the PAIN of it.
    But I've never been into pain. It's just not my thing.

So I suggest to anyone who is just setting up their PC with a fresh install of their OS, that as soon as the OS, the hardware drivers and their programs are installed and working, they immediately do a complete backup of their C: drive to an external HD or to DVD's.
    Ideally, the DVD should also boot up the PC and run the Restore app, so the entire restore process can be done from just the one DVD.
    I regularly do that with Ghost 2003 for XP and Ghost 11.5 for Vista or Win-7.

Then, I make subsequent backups every week. In case of a total HD crash, I can quickly restore my stuff to a new HD in just a few minutes.

There is absolutely NO replacement for a good current backup, of your entire C: drive..... not off in a cloud somewhere but right where you can quickly get your hands on it. Over the past 20+ years, I've crashed several hard drives, but I've never lost anything important, because the important stuff is always backed up.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I have to agree with Doc. Those who follow my posts see that I am an avid Imager. In fact I just reimaged yesterday after installing Office 2010 SP1. I had done a bunch of things which did not sit well with me. I found it easier to go back using a recent Image, then install SP1 and the new version of MSE, then reimage. There is nothing like an Up To Date Image to make out PC lives easier when disaster strikes, or our enthusiasm out runs our knowledge and we acquire a bunch of junk. Restoring is quicker than uninstalling the junk and cleaning up afterward.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy