New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Outlook 2003 -- recipient sees duplicate text within a message

I have a user who sends emails composed in RTF to external addresses and the recipient sees the original text duplicated immediately below, almost as if it had been cut and pasted in below the original text. Sender is using Outlook 2003 sp3 on Exchange 2007. I've never seen anything like this and cannot reproduce it consistently. This has occured with several recipients.

Sometimes the duplicate text is preceded by what appears to be a snippet of HTML code (bolded "f" in below example). I believe the recipients are defaulting to HTML format. I don't know if that could be a related issue. Below is a redacted example of the contents of one of these emails:

<deleted>,
    I've attached a copy of an order the Second Circuit just issued directing the parties to unseal the majority of the appendix by Monday at noon. We view this as a signal their decision will be issued in the very near future.

Following conversations with <deleted>counsel and our First Amendment experts here, we are comfortable there is minimal risk of any successful defamation action against <deleted> based on the contemplated media strategy by which the press will be informed about the criminal complaint against <deleted>. I am waiting for confirmation of the same from our <deleted> counsel and will let you know as soon as we've heard from him.

Thanks,
    <deleted>

f
    <deleted>,

I've attached a copy of an order the Second Circuit just issued directing the parties to unseal the majority of the appendix by Monday at noon. We view this as a signal their decision will be issued in the very near future.
    Following conversations with <deleted>counsel and our First Amendment experts here, we are comfortable there is minimal risk of any successful defamation action against <deleted> based on the contemplated media strategy by which the press will be informed about the criminal complaint against <deleted>. I am waiting for confirmation of the same from our <deleted> counsel and will let you know as soon as we've heard from him.

Thanks,
    <deleted>

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Mail sends both formatted and text only versions in the one email, allowing old clients to read the message. To make this work headers are added in front of the different formats.
    You may be seeing the formatting not working properly and need to view the raw email to see if this is the case. Unfortunately Outlook doesn't show raw AFAIK, only headers in the Properties. This may be enough to work out what is wrong.

cheers, Paul