3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

how to format a cell so user can select from a list or add to a list

I have created a cell that has a validation list on it. I want the user to be able to add to the list validation. I also want to have something like an autocomplete as the user starts typing in the cell and this way there are no two data that are the same. I maybe using the validation function incorrectly to accomplish this, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    If the list is linked to a range in the worksheet, you can move the last item and add a new one to autoexpand the range. If you name the list with a dynamic range using offset that adjusts based on the length of the list, adding new items will autoexpand the validation list.

As far as I know, autocomplete is not a feature of datavalidation. you would have to use a different control like a combobox from the control toolbox which allows for this.

MS MVP Debra Dagliesh on her site explains how to use a combobox to get around some of the limitations of datavalidation. http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal11.html

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Steve.