3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where does Word 2010 save temporary files?

A co-worker lost a day's work b/c Word crashed and the auto recovered document didn't reflect her work. What folder does Word save temporary or auto-saved documents to?

Any other suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this? Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    It usually saves them in the folder where the document being edited is located.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

It helped me.

Andrew,

I don't know if this helped anyone else, but it sure helped me.

I thought I had been saving versions of this document but I had nothing but something from yesterday after an odd crash.

I did not think I could recover a file this way.

That was a great link.

Doug

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ever so much. This article saved me. Oddly enough the location that was set within Word (shown at File>Options>Save>Autorecover File Location) which showed as C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\ had nothing in it.

But going to File>Info> Manage Versions>Recover Unsaved Documents opened a different folder - C:\Users\Myname\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Uns avedFiles And there was my file, saved with its heading used as a filename. Thank heavens.

Presumably the location for autorecover is only used for versions saved between normal saves. As I hadn't yet saved the file there was nothing there.

Hope this helps someone else:
    If you haven't yet saved a file, the autorecover version won't be in the place specified in Word, but you can get it using the menu File>Info> Manage Versions>Recover Unsaved Documents

Colin

Thanks
    See also Automatically Back Up Word Documents http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm This won't help with a current problem but could help prevent future ones.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Eventually, on Win 8.1, I found my lost non-saved file (with all the default options set for Autosave) was in C:/User/Username/AppData/Local/Temp!!!!!!! Is there some logic to all these differences?