Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Updates - Failed Updates

I am regularly now getting failed updates on both my XP and Win7 machines. It strikes me that it's Microsoft's OS and their updates, so in my view they should perhaps join themselves up a bit, write more intelligent updates and get it right - not leave it to the customer to decipher obscure error codes, trawl the Web to find the solution, and waste bandwith by having to re-download all the failed updates again, and again, and again (why aren't they just saved to the PC the first time?) and fix their incompetence for them. I appreciate that sometimes the error is "our" fault (because non-MS software pon a PC may interfere with the update processing actions), but surely MS could make the update system more intelligent. Couldn't they? Is there any way we as users can put some pressure on Microsoft to fix this extremely irritating problem? Sigh...

rdl

Thanks
    Unfortunately, I think part of the problem is that there are so many different configurations of hardware and software that having an update system that works perfectly for all users is next to impossible. I do agree that there could be an easier way ro decipher what went wrong when an update fails because it does sometimes take quite a while to figure things out. Something to try in your case, make sure your AV app is disabled during the installation. Choose the Download but let me choose when to install option so that the updates are downloaded, but not installed until you choose. This allows you to disconnect from the internet, then disable your security apps (and all other running apps) before actually installing the updates. These running apps can cause problems with the updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Check out this WS Lounge Forum thread.

And also this WS Lounge Forum thread.

Here is another excellent WS Lounge Forum thread with some great information.

Check out this MS Support Knowledge Base article to see if anything there offers provides some help.

Hopefully the information in one of these will provide a workable solution.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-25 at 06:53. Reason: add another link

Thanks
    I have had the same problem with Windows 7...My XP updates install fine.

It takes me days to install the updates...
    W7 installs some one day and then fails on the rest...Then after numerous attempts over several days it installs another one, fails on the others, installs one more then fails on others etc...

I have had this problem ever since installing W7....
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your responses and links to new threads. I have been finding the error codes and piecemeal getting through the updates, I guess my point was just one of sheer frustration at Microsoft, who make the OS and issue the updates, but don't seem to be able to create a more intelligent, or at least user friendly, process. I love the smash forhead on keyboard - that's exactly how I feel from time to time! : )

New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 update failure

Quote Originally Posted by rdl@globalnet View Post
    I am regularly now getting failed updates on both my XP and Win7 machines....

rdl
    I too have a problem with updates failing. I had not updated for a while, had about 19 updates waiting. After a long wait (downloading) I was told that the updates failed. I was able to install 3 of the updates. Following Microsoft's obscure instructions I tried to do a reinstall but got a message that I was trying to install over a newer version. Following today's WS issue I attempted to uninstall SP1. This ended with a message saying that not all programs could be uninstalled as an error was encountered! Trying to reinstall resulted in the same message as before.

I am using MSE as my virus checker so I would not expect a conflict here.

By the way, I tried restoring back as far as I was able with no benefit.

Can anyone help me or do I need to find all of my drivers etc and start again from scratch?

Thanks
    Virus checkers can always conflict no mater the app including MSE. It's always a good idea to disable during updates.

After having tried several installs / uninstalls that failed. you may have a significant problem. As a matter of fact Fred Langa just published a method that may work for you.

I hope this helps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had tried Fred's solution and when I tried uninstalling SP1 it gave me one of Microsoft's very informative messages (an error was encountered which prevented all programs being uninstalled) and I was left with the message that I was trying to install over a newer version.

I have since downloaded Win7 64 with SP1 from microsoft (took a loooong time), uninstalled updates since its date and successfully followed Fred's process. I now have successfully applied all patches available from Windows Update. A lot of effort overall, but beat starting from scratch which would have involved me searching for how I set up my RAID 5 system.

Thanks for trying to help me.