New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to send email to one address

I have Windows XP, Outlook Express 6, Office Outlook 2003, and Comcast cable Internet service. All of a sudden, I could not get my email delivered to one address that I send an email to at least once a day I get a Delivery Status Notification from Mail Delivery System that “Delivery to the following recipient was aborted…someuser@bresnan.net”. It doesn’t matter whether I use Outlook Express or Outlook 2003, or whether I use my Address Book or type in the email address. I went to Comcast’s Smart Zone and used the email program there to send the email that could not be sent by either Microsoft program. It was delivered without any problem. So now I am using Outlook Express to send all of my email except to the one address, and for that address I am using Comcast’s program. Does anyone have any idea why I cannot use Microsoft’s mail programs to send an email to the one address?
    Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-06-25 at 20:35. Reason: Changed email address to reduce spam risk.

Thanks
    Can you check the detail for the non-delivery report? Usually it will have a 3-digit code starting with a 5 and a further explanation, but if there's no explanation, one can search the 3-digit code online to see what it indicates.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thete is nothing in the email message to indicate any code. However, there are two attachments that are jibberish to me. One reads: "Reporting-MTA: dns; qmta04.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net [76.96.30.40]
    Received-From-MTA: dns; omta18.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net [76.96.30.74]
    Arrival-Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:28:34 +0000

Final-recipient: rfc822; someuser@bresnan.net
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 Mail rejected by policy: v=1.1 cv=HLRYSdwKA7Wduwyy0mABG0Mkipc9AWBDd58BXYULpsk= c=1 sm=0 p=1VYttFyZIW7LWOEgJE4zTw==:17 a=rl5eUP2J6s4A:10 a=8EBnaNwux_YA:10 a=NmRa7rhAaKihe0qJu5gA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=LQSl8OgJ9ec1G9meHmYA:9 a=VXyhDFwKSf3va8k-TRgA:7 a=ex5bG1iDCB8A:10 a=kJiOVbyEEiwkbvmBrtqv0w==:117
    Last-attempt-Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 18:28:44 +0000"

I cannot open the other attachment. Hope you can figure something out from the above. Thank you.

Last edited by jscher2000; 2011-06-25 at 20:30. Reason: Changed email address to reduce spam risk.

Thanks
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 Mail rejected by policy

This looks like a spam filter rejection based on your mail server rather than a rule set up by the recipient. When I search this message with bresnan.net, lots of complaints come up, but no clear solution.

On Bresnan's customer support site, they say: "If you are not receiving any e-mail from an e-mail address that you should, you can forward that address to this-is-not-spam@bresnan.net to receive these messages." So if you need to mail someone at that domain often, ask them to submit your address to the whitelist.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It could also be rejected based on content.
    Ask the recipient to copy the mail headers from a message that is delivered and send them back to you. Compare the sending servers with the ones in your reject message to see if the same path is used by your mail system. If not you could take it up with your ISP.

cheers, Paul