5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Installing driver updates in IE9

I'm not sure whether this should be in this forum or Internet Connectivity.

Have just upgraded to IE9 on a Dell Inspiron laptop running Vista SP2. Following Susan Bradley’s instructions on installing a new graphics driver has presented a problem. I have found what appears to be the correct driver on the Intel site, but the instructions say ‘specify a location into which the driver files will be extracted’.

Later they say ‘enter the directory where you unzipped the downloaded file, then enter the ‘Graphics’ subdirectory’.

My problem is that I have no idea what a directory or subdirectory is, or where to find them.

Hopefully somebody can enlighten me.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Location means any temporary folder. Directory means the same temporary folder, which will then contain a Graphics sub-folder.

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi George,

The driver will ask you for a folder where the driver files will be extracted to. I usually have a folder for that, c:\temp, but you can choose any other folder that suits you. Once you extract the files, you know where they will be.
    A directory is a folder in your disk. A subdirectory is a folder inside a folder.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2011-06-26)

Thanks
    I have found that the best place to put these folders, sub folders, etc is in my Downloads folder. Mine happens to reside on my D Drive because I moved all data folders to that drive. Now when I download anything, whether it be a new app or update or drivers etc I know exactly where to look for them. In the case of a new driver, I would create a new folder in the Download folder aptly named Graphics driver, or whatever to put this driver into and extract into, etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2011-06-26)