5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Too many apps loading at start up

Since reformatting the hard drive my PC takes 4.5 4.75 minutes to boot up. This is due to the number of rarely used applications loading. I reminder of how to remove them would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    You can download Whats in Startup here and Autoruns here. With either program, you can check all the programs that run on startup and can uncheck them one at a time to be sure they are not critical to Windows startup. I would leave any Microsoft item alone, and focus on the third party stuff. Autoruns will reveal a huge volume of information, but you only need look in the Logon tab.

You could also type msconfig using the run command, or the Start Menu search box, and select the Startup tab. You can deselect each one you wish to prevent from starting at boot. The other two programs provide with much more information, which can be useful in certain other scenarios as well.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2011-06-25 at 19:12. Reason: add msconfig

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadeye81 For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2011-06-26)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Download the free Codestuff Starter. It will show you the programs that run at startup. Right click on each one that is checked to startup, choose Internet and then any of the options to see whether it is ok to turn the program off. A reboot is neccessary for the change to take. place. You may have to start Codestuff by right clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator" for the progranm to work.

Thanks
    The long way around:
    Many if not most programs will offer the option for disabling themselves from starting up.
    Go through the above mentioned startup finder programs for identifying start up applications and see what is there. Then get back to
    all the individual programs to see whether each one can be tweaked to not start upon Windows boot.
    If you find a few that have no options then you can use the big guns on them; Autoruns, msconfig, etc.

You might also find you have programs on your computer you never knew you had. If you don't know what they are,
    punch their names into google search to learn more about them. Or simply uninstall those that you do not want.

There may be a host of other issues that can cause prolonged boot times as well, post back once your done if you need to explore it further.

Thanks
    I don't like to disable anything, on a customer's PC, without asking them first. 99 times out of 100, I will ask a person, "do you need this" and they won't even know what it is. I'm getting pretty good at identifying file names myself, so when there's something I can't identify and the customer has never heard of, I'll verify it with Google and then OUT IT GOES.

So what loads into memory on boot-up? Well, at least part of the OS, the registry, hardware drivers, services and finally those things that reside in the Startup folder. So, last in first out! Go right to the Startup folder and De-Select any program that absolutely, positively does not need to be running all the time. Reminders, schedulers and updaters fall into that category along with NO-Name files and Files consisting of 8 random characters. (those are usually viruses or some such malware)
    UN-Checking a file does not remove it from the computer. It only stops it from running. If found to be something important, the check mark next to the file-name can be restored.

On my own PC, I disable 24 different Services and limit the files loading on boot, to a bare minimum three (3).

To gain any kind of efficiency at all, it's primarily important to minimize the work load on the Processor and RAM.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!