Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

XP Repair Install Problem

I am trying to do a repair install on my friends Fujitsu Siemens laptop.

When I tried to boot from her XPSP3 disc nothing happened.I tried the F12 key to bring up the boot menu and it referred to the hard drive as 2 and the CD drive as 3.I reversed the order and eventually got the Windows Setup screen but after a while was asked to insert the XPSP3 disc, which was already inserted. I tried several times but could get no further, so I gave up on the XPSP3 disc and tried to boot from the Fujitsu recovery cd. This seemed to work and I got to the inner repair screen and setup deleted some files and then copied files.Copying completed and the laptop automatically rebooted but after the Windows XP screen disappeared I got a blank screen.I left it for some time but nothing happened.
    Next I tried the XPSP3 disc again but got the message that "file \i386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. Error code 12544".

I also tried to get to the BIOS screen using the F2 key, but was asked for a password. My friend had no idea the BIOS was password protected.I tried leaving the password blank and pressing Enter,but that didn't work.

Each time I got a blank screen I could not turn the laptop off except by unplugging it from the power supply and removing the battery.

Help sorting this problem out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roy - What BIOS is on that laptop? Common BIOS's include AMI, Award, IBM and Phoenix.

How old is the laptop? The CMOS battery may be getting old.

On a Siemens laptop you could try this BIOS password - SKY_FOX

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi tfspry-the BIOS is Phoenix. I tried the password you mentioned but it didn't work.

The laptop is 7 or 8 years old I think.

At one point this morning I managed to get the laptop to boot from the XPSP3 cd and it completed loading files. I decided to do a clean reinstall and format the partition but formatting stalled at 52%, and every time now that I try to start the machine it says the operating system can't be loaded.

Do you have any other ideas?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,Roy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roy - Here is something on BIOS passwords ....
    (Try these) Reported Phoenix BIOS backdoor passwords include BIOS, CMOS, phoenix, and PHOENIX
    at this link......
    http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.html

May be worthwhile to also read the section.... "Resetting the BIOS Password using Hardware"
    where it discusses CMOS battery replacement.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Have you run a thorough chkdsk on the drive from a bootable disk yet?
    chkdsk volume:/r

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi tfspry and CLiNT,and thanks.
    I tried the passwords suggested for the Phoenix BIOS,but none of them worked.
    I also tried the chkdsk c:/r command, but the check stalled at 47% in the final part of the process,and the only way I could turn the laptop off was by unplugging the power cable and removing the battery.
    I restarted the laptop and tried the sfc /scannow command.I was aked to insert the XPSP2 cd and did so and the check seemed to be progressing normally, but about half way through I was asked to insert the XPSP2 cd again. I clicked retry several times but that didn't work so I gave up and restarted the laptop.The ironic thing is that after all the trouble I had trying to boot from the cd, either the XPSP2 one which is the recovery cd from Fujitsu Siemens,or the XPSP3 cd,when the scannow program asked for the SP2 cd to be inserted the Windows installation screen opened immediately.
    I should explain that my friend managed to do a clean reinstall of Windows using the XPSP2 CD,much to my surprise, but the problem now is that we cannot get the Fujitsu Drivers and Utilities cd to work.When I insert that the cd icon appears briefly alongside the cursor but the setup screen doesn't appear. When I click on the cd drive and open it nothing is shown,and capacity is shown as 0 bytes with 0 bytes free.

Further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    This really sounds like a hardware failure. At 8 years old, this is really old in laptop life. There may be something failing. I'm not sure a laptop that old would be worth the expense to have a tech look at it. I suppose if you have availability of parts, those parts that are easily user available (poss. HD and RAM) could be temp replaced to try to see if problem resolves. Youe friend will have to decide on cost versus value for this one, sorry!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I should explain that my friend managed to do a clean reinstall of Windows using the XPSP2 CD,much to my surprise, but the problem now is that we cannot get the Fujitsu Drivers and Utilities cd to work.When I insert that the cd icon appears briefly alongside the cursor but the setup screen doesn't appear. When I click on the cd drive and open it nothing is shown,and capacity is shown as 0 bytes with 0 bytes free.

??Bad DVD/CD ROM drive or media??
    Download the latest drivers from the Laptop maker.
    Or use another computer to transfer the drivers to a USB stick, then install them from there.

The fact that you were unable to complete a chkdsk concerns me too. Try the shorter "f" switch command from a bootable disk...let it run.
    Contact the laptop's manufacturer for support with the BIOS lockout. You realy should get that rectified.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have looked at a bunch of threads and this is as close to my problem that I have found.

A friend had a corrupt copy of windows XP (virus) on his computer and wanted to reload XP but when he went to load XP from the install disk he got an error message that told him a file was missing so he told it to skip the file. After Loading was complete XP boots but is fuzzy and the graphics are very large and he can't change the settings. So he ran the repair from the disk and got the same error massage that the file was missing from the disk. How does he reload that missing file?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I talked to my friend and he says XP fixed itself after 72 ms updates were auto installed. He said he just let it run until all updates were installed. I find that hard to believe but he says it is working fine now. It is working a lot better then it was before the virus.

Thanks
    Yes a reinstall of the OS will bring the PC back to the time when it was first installed so ALL updates issued since then will gladly present themselves to be reinstalled. You might try any SP first. These often include many of the individual updates.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    When things get wonky, with any laptop over four years old, I just automatically go for the CMOS battery. They don't last forever.
    I was given a nice little Toshiba laptop that is over ten years old. I figured that, because it came with Windows ME on it.
    It started having intermittent boot failures, which just got worse and worse till it wouldn't boot at all. The owner bought a new laptop and gave me the old one for parts, or whatever.

I finally figured out how to get to the CMOS battery, under the keyboard. That 3.0 volt battery was down to less than 2 volts.
    It was two NiCad cells welded together, to give the necessary 3.0 volts. I cut it off of the wires and soldered in a CR2032 Lithium battery.
    I soon had the little PC up and running. It did have some file problems, so I reloaded Windows ME and it ran just fine.
    I later loaded a Lite version of XP-Pro-SP3 and that little ten year old PC is running great today, on Windows XP.

The entire problem was nothing more than a dead CMOS battery.

Cheers Mates!
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!