Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Copy and paste in Word 2010 produces black spot

I have just rebuilt my PC with new motherboard, CPU etc. I have windows 7 professional 64 installed and a clean install of office 2010. My problem is if I copy text from a web site or from Excel, Access etc into Word all I get is a black spot. I have tried a repair install and checking all the settings against my laptop - where this function works properly. The only difference between the 2 installs is that the desktop is a clean install after windows was installed and on the laptop it was installed over office 2007.

Does any one have a solution other than deleting, installing office 2007 and then reinstalling 2010?

TIA

Bob

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you post a picture of what you see?

Pam

Thanks
    Is the black spot inline in the document, i.e., it scrolls with the page? If so, if you select that area and toggle the display of field results to field codes using Shift+F9, do there appear to be any field codes there?

If preserving the original formatting is not essential, have you tried using Paste Special > Unformatted text as a workaround?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well. I still don't know what the problem was, it does not seem to be documented anywhere else -perhaps I have found a new bug :-) I discovered that if I open the app I want to paste into first, copy the required item then I can paste normally and get all the options. If i dont open first then the item goes in clipboard (this only seemed to happen after loading Office 2010)

I eventually deleted office, and cleared the registry of all the software entries, renstalled and all is now back to 'normal'

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is just a black spot, no field codes. I cannot get any paste options at all in this scenario

New Lounger
    Thanks
    BLACK BLOB SOLUTION (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)

For many users with this black blob/dot issue, the problem is caused by a defective Bluetooth add-in for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

Black Blob Word 2007 FIX (Similar process for Excel and PowerPoint, just use excel.exe, and powerpnt.exe instead of 'Winword' in the following)
    1. Click Start button --> Type Winword into the search box
    2. Right click on Winword --> Run as administrator --> Click yes
    3. Click the Microsoft Office Button at the Top Left
    4. Click 'Word options' at the bottom
    5. Click the 'Add-ins' Tab
    6. Dropdown box at the bottom --> Manage: "COM Add-ins"
    7. Click Go...
    8. Uncheck "Send to Bluetooth"
    9. Press OK

Additional Notes:
    1. The defective Bluetooth add-in is usually installed by a Bluetooth driver. (In my case - Intel Centrino Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 + High Speed Adaptor (v1.1))
    2. Updating your Bluetooth driver (or reverting to an older version) may also resolve the problem.
    3. Unfortunately simply disabling the add-in through the Word options may result in a 3 second freeze when loading Word 2007. (If this is a problem, changing to a different bluetooth driver version may be the better option)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MythiK For This Useful Post:

fredmkt (2012-02-02),YodaDaToka (2014-04-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MythiK
    thanks a lot for your precious e rare solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @fredmkt
    happy to hear the solution worked for you

New Lounger
    Thanks

Great fix

Thanks MythiK

Works great in Office 2010 - this problem has been bugging me for ages, googled and selected the www.answers.mcirosoft.com link, which has a link to your solution.

Anyone not sure how to find the blue tooth options in 2010 do this:

WORD 2010
    1. Go to Backstage view (File Menu).
    2. Select Options near the end (just below Help), then Add-ins on the left-hand side.
    3. Select Manage Com Add-Ins at the bottom of the window that opens up, then select Go.
    4. Untick Send to Bluetooth.
    5. Follow the same procedure for each 2010 application.

TMD.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i had the same problem with office 2010 on my laptop using widows 7. Just open office first before you copy and paste and your problem solved.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same problem with office 2010 using windows 7. I get a black blob the first time I try and copy and paste. I have tried to follow the instructions above - I type Winword into the Search box in the Start menu but all I get is a word doc saying Winword. If I click that it just opens up a blank document. Is there another way I can open Winword? Thanks v much!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by polly View Post
    I have the same problem with office 2010 using windows 7. I get a black blob the first time I try and copy and paste. I have tried to follow the instructions above - I type Winword into the Search box in the Start menu but all I get is a word doc saying Winword. If I click that it just opens up a blank document. Is there another way I can open Winword? Thanks v much!
    If you do a Search for Winword, do you not get a list of files prefixed Winword, including the program itself (winword.exe) which is the one that you want?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, Jeremy. I am trying to follow the instructions above called 'Black Blob Solution'. I assume it's the winword.exe programme that I want. When I search for that in the search box, I still get a blank Word doc coming up.. Any help would be v gratefully received.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From reading the instructions, I think you need to right-click Winword in the search results (rather than left-clicking it or pressing the Enter key, which will open Word). The right-click menu should include a "Run as Administrator" command, and you should be able to go from there.

Presumably steps 3 and 4 are slightly different in Word 2010. In step 3, you'd click the File tab, and in step 4, you'd click Options, which is toward the bottom left side of the "Backstage View" (the full-screen menu that opens when you click the File tab).

Let us know.

Jan
    Last edited by janbphd; 2012-04-08 at 22:02.
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by polly View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Jeremy. I am trying to follow the instructions above called 'Black Blob Solution'. I assume it's the winword.exe programme that I want. When I search for that in the search box, I still get a blank Word doc coming up.. Any help would be v gratefully received.
    Does the search results pane show a list of files including winword? Make sure you right-click on the winword file to get the Run as Administrator option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast